Specialty IPA: Red IPA India Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed it yesterday, as a raw ale (wort not boiled, hops in a seperate hop "tea"). I used Admiral for bittering and green bullet and Simcoe as flavour additions @ 5min. I did no chill with the hop tea, so the hops spent quite some additional time above 80 degrees C in there. I did not have the 40L crystal malt, but the 90L. I had cara hell which has a colour of 10L, so I decided to up the amount of both a bit, I went with 5% each, I deducted the additional 1% for each from the base malts.

I pitched a rehydrated Nottingham package this morning and now I am very curious about how it will turn out :)

So I'm a big fan of Red IPA's but I haven't been able to come up with a recipe I truly love. I do have a pretty good clone of Sierra Nevada's Celebration but I want to try something new so I'm going to give this recipe a try.

I see where the original recipe calls for black patent but I also saw in reading through this thread that chocolate can be subbed in for it which is what I was thinking about trying. Has anyone subbed chocolate for black patent and have anything positive or negative to add about it?

Cheers! :mug:

So I'm a big fan of Red IPA's but I haven't been able to come up with a recipe I truly love. I do have a pretty good clone of Sierra Nevada's Celebration but I want to try something new so I'm going to give this recipe a try.

I see where the original recipe calls for black patent but I also saw in reading through this thread that chocolate can be subbed in for it which is what I was thinking about trying. Has anyone subbed chocolate for black patent and have anything positive or negative to add about it?

I have stopped using roasted malts in my red/ambers. I only use crystal malts and it has only been for the better, at least for my personal taste.

Chocolate or pale chocolate malt is definitely better, especially in a Red. Other higher roasted malts I feel they lend to much of a rost in the final beer.

It’s a very small amount of dark roasted malt. I have used: black patent, chocolate, carafa and Midnight wheat and Black prinz. Of these, the Midnight Wheat is the smoothest. I prefer using a small amount of one of these malts for color instead of more cara/crystal as I prefer bit less perceived sweetness.

It’s a very small amount of dark roasted malt. I have used: black patent, chocolate, carafa and Midnight wheat and Black prinz. Of these, the Midnight Wheat is the smoothest. I prefer using a small amount of one of these malts for color instead of more cara/crystal as I prefer bit less perceived sweetness.

Thanks for the reply! I make a Black IPA that uses midnight wheat so I might go in that direction.

Put my second brewing of this recipe on tap last weekend, upped the hops a little this time. Buddy of mine came over to try some brews. Warned him it wasn't ready, was hardly carbed, not ready for serving, but let him try it anyways. He didn't want to leave, and kept saying how good it was, as he filled his glass a few times, lol.

So I just dry hopped a version of this recipe last night and took a sample. It's already the best Red IPA I've made before adding the 4.5 oz of equal parts Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade. This is even better than my Celebration clone I brew! I'm planning on bottling this bad boy this weekend. Can't wait until it's conditioned!!! :cask:

I'll be making this on Sunday! I'm going to try using a bit of Kveik (Granvin strain) as my yeast. I can't wait to try it out!

Brewed it yesterday, as a raw ale (wort not boiled, hops in a seperate hop "tea"). I used Admiral for bittering and green bullet and Simcoe as flavour additions @ 5min. I did no chill with the hop tea, so the hops spent quite some additional time above 80 degrees C in there. I did not have the 40L crystal malt, but the 90L. I had cara hell which has a colour of 10L, so I decided to up the amount of both a bit, I went with 5% each, I deducted the additional 1% for each from the base malts.

I pitched a rehydrated Nottingham package this morning and now I am very curious about how it will turn out :)

Caught a wild brett infection on this one, transferred it to a glass fermenter, added a bit of Pilsener wort to give the yeast something to help to get rid of the oxygen I might have introduced during transfer and filled the airlock with vodka.

Tasted it when transferring, tasted slightly funky in a good way. It has been standing in my closet since then, being a happily aging wild brett brew.

I think I might take a first reading and another taste test end of this month.

I'll keep you updated.

Caught a wild brett infection on this one, transferred it to a glass fermenter, added a bit of Pilsener wort to give the yeast something to help to get rid of the oxygen I might have introduced during transfer and filled the airlock with vodka.

Tasted it when transferring, tasted slightly funky in a good way. It has been standing in my closet since then, being a happily aging wild brett brew.

I think I might take a first reading and another taste test end of this month.

I'll keep you updated.

A Brett version would be a first. To quote Bob Ross “ no mistakes, only happy accidents”. I hope it’s not beyond recovery

Is this beer considered an Imperial? Also anyone have any pics?

IMG_5326.jpg

It’s 6.5% ~1.065 as designed but if you want to “ imperialize” it increase the base malt to around 1.076+

Thanks Tim! I’m going to try your IRA first. I am thinking of brewing this for St. Patrick’s Day. Which version of this do you prefer ?

Thanks Tim! I’m going to try your IRA first. I am thinking of brewing this for St. Patrick’s Day. Which version of this do you prefer ?

Do the original but double the dry hops. Or-

If you want to change it up...

You can decrease the crystal a bit if you want less maltiness. I have been using Midnight wheat in place of black patent lately, but that is probably splitting hairs at less than 1% of the grist.

Again if you want a lighter mouthfeel, Decrease the Munich to 3.5 lbs and 2-row to 8 lbs.

My last batch was simcoe, centennial and Mosaic and it was lovely.

Brewing a 2.5 gallon version of this in the am. How does this look? Would 1 oz of each hop at boil be too much for this small 2.5 gal batch? I have .5 oz shown below but now I’m thinking more!

I’m looking to do an imperial version.

IMG_1523651927.133580.jpg

Last edited:
Hydro sample is great! My version came in a little hot at 1.080. I’m going to dry hop my 2.5 gal batch with ounce each Simcoe, Amarillio, Cascade. Very good Red IPA!

IMG_1524404031.520801.jpg

It’s 6.5% ~1.065 as designed but if you want to “ imperialize” it increase the base malt to around 1.076+

I accidentally imperialized it once to like 9% ABV!!- the scale was off at the brew store. I've brewed this like 8 times but that imperial one was my favorite. I think the scale was off when I measured the Munich out - what do you think about shooting for 1.070 with 50% 2 ROW 50% 10L munich light?

I’d do more 2 row, rather than Munich for my tastes. 50/50 will be a real malt bomb, but if you are into that go for it.

I’d do more 2 row, rather than Munich for my tastes. 50/50 will be a real malt bomb, but if you are into that go for it.

I'll probably stick with the original recipe, I'm doing a 10 gallon batch so I don't want to get too crazy. This is a great beer, I haven't brewed it in a while!

I just opened my first bottle at 12 days. Yes, I’m inpatient! I gulped the hydro sample down which I normally can’t stomach.

I am getting a little DMS butterscotch flavor that I hope will fade with more time in the bottle. Overall I think a really good recipe. My version came in at 8%

Update: 6/7/18

DMS gone! Beer is awesome, Great Recipe.

Last edited:
I've now brewed this beer 7 times. I tried Wyeast 1272 American Ale II yeast last batch. It's not fully carbed yet but I just gave it a try and I'm not sure about it yet. So far I like 1056 - American Ale 1 better.

I've now brewed this beer 7 times. I tried Wyeast 1272 American Ale II yeast last batch. It's not fully carbed yet but I just gave it a try and I'm not sure about it yet. So far I like 1056 - American Ale 1 better.

My experience with 1272 is that it’s pretty slow to finish and clean up. Give it some time. It’s in my opinion almost a hybrid of an American strain/English strain. That said 1056 always does a great job with this beer.

Just wanted to give a shout out to the OP of the thread. I brewed this up a few weeks back (I bottle condition), and just had my first finished bottle. Came out freaking fantastic! Definitely in the top 5 brews for me (though granted, I've only done 35 brews or so).

I went for 50% Mosaic, 25% Centennial and 25% Simcoe and also used Crystal 75 instead of 90 (my LHBS was out of stock on the 90). Other than that, I stayed true to the original recipe.

Edit: Forgot, I also subbed Midnight wheat for the black malt. I tend to find the Midnight smoother (which I believe the OP mentioned in another post above).

Definitely a winner!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just wanted to give a shout out to the OP of the thread. I brewed this up a few weeks back (I bottle condition), and just had my first finished bottle. Came out freaking fantastic! Definitely in the top 5 brews for me (though granted, I've only done 35 brews or so).

I went for 50% Mosaic, 25% Centennial and 25% Simcoe and also used Crystal 75 instead of 90 (my LHBS was out of stock on the 90). Other than that, I stayed true to the original recipe.

Edit: Forgot, I also subbed Midnight wheat for the black malt. I tend to find the Midnight smoother (which I believe the OP mentioned in another post above).

Definitely a winner!

Cheers!

So happy to hear it’s a winner for you! Your hop bill sounds great, and yes I use Midnight wheat now for this beer. Cheers!

Ive had this thread book marked for a while and I think I'm going to do it in the next few weeks. I might do an 11 gal batch and ferment half with an ale yeast and half with a lager yeast. @TimBrewz since you have done both, are the IRA/IRL beers different enough to make a worth while side by side? Havent plugged a recipe into BS yet but thinking along these lines.

Grain Bill:
16lb 2 row
10lb Munich 10l
1lb cara 40
.5lb cara 120
2 oz midnight wheat

Hops:
2.5oz Simcoe (FWH)
2oz Amarillo (10 min)
2oz Simcoe (10 min)
2.5oz Amarillo (whirlpool)
2oz Simcoe (whirlpool)
2oz Cascade (whirlpool)
4oz Amarillo (dry hop)
2oz Cascade (dry hop)
1oz Simcoe (dry hop)

1/2 fermented with ether 05 or BRY-97
1/2 fermented with 34/70

Also, has anyone subbed some of the base malt for Red X?

Hi Tarpon, that recipe looks good. I found the Lager yeast more malt forward and to ( obviously I guess) have that unmistakable lager flavor. So yes they are different enough to do the split and have two noticeably different beers. The Red X is great. I’m a partner in a brewery in N California ( Cedar Crest Brewery and Winery) and we do an Irish Red Ale that is 50/50 pils and Red X. I’ve been thinking of doing an IRA with that grain bill in the future.

Happy brewing!
Tim

I'm a big fan of Stone's Pataskala Red, that's what made me think of using Red X. I may try it, but I will use your grain bill first because it has gotten so many great reviews in this thread. Id love to get a hoppy red into my rotation.

I brewed this two months ago
it is excellent and similar to what you are discussing. Not as much Munich, but more Pale ale malt. Also used 1272 yeast for a fruiter beer. Very tasty.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Milo's Pale Ale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 11.8 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 13.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.052
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.93%
IBU (tinseth): 47.98
SRM (morey): 6.3

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (48.5%)
9 lb - American - Pale Ale (33.6%)
4 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (14.9%)
13 oz - German - CaraFoam (3%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Galena, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 9.02
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Aroma for 10 min, IBU: 4.01
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Aroma for 10 min, IBU: 6.31
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Aroma for 10 min, IBU: 8.17
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min at 180 °F, IBU: 4.44
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min at 180 °F, IBU: 6.98
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min at 180 °F, IBU: 9.05

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 151 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 7.4 gal
2) Temperature, Temp: 168 F, Time: 25 min, Amount: 0 gal, hold at temperature for 10 minutes
3) Infusion, Temp: 160 F, Time: 20 min, Amount: 9.5 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.15 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - whirl floc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
10 each - femtab, Time: 60 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil
1.25 tsp - yeast nutrient, Time: 10 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale II 1272
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 66 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: CO2
Amount: 11.7 psi
CO2 Level: 2.5 Volumes

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Light colored and hoppy
Ca2: 75
Mg2: 5
Na: 10
Cl: 50
SO4: 150
HCO3: 0
Water Notes:
Mash water 7.4 gal; Sparge water 9.8 gal
Gyp: 7.5 g; 1.9 tsp / 7 g; 1.8 tsp
Epsom: 3 g; 0.7 tsp / 1 g; 0.2 tsp
Salt: 0 g; 0.0 tso / 1 g; 0.2 tsp
CaCl: 3 g; 0.7 tsp / 3 g; 0.7 tsp
Add 57.47 ml / 11.5 tsp Phosphoric acid. = pH 5.4
NOTES:
Yeast sStarter:
1 L; 4.5 oz DME
.75 L 6.3 DME
yields 0.78M Cells / ml / deg P

This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/654929/milo-s-pale-ale

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2018-08-20 22:34 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2018-06-06 13:08 UTC

Attachments

• MilosPaleAle.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 29
More comments on Milo's Pale Ale. Not as hoppy as I intended. but a nice malty backbone. I'd say a very complex Malt backbone. Hops is suttle and not overly bitter. love drinking this beer as it is very tasty.

Brewed the recipe on page 19 and it came out great!! Used midnight wheat instead of black patent and after 3 weeks fermenting and only 3 days in the keg it has come out really good!

It reminds me of Sierra Nevada Celebration. One of my favorite beers. I had just bought a 12 pack a few days earlier and when I went to try this one I was like, Damn this tastes familiar. Poured a glass of celebration to compare and actually preferred this one.

If you like Celebration you'll love this beer. Thanks!

About 1 year ago, I brewed a raw version of this red ale and it got infected with wild brett. I decided to age it and see what I will get. Yesterday I tried one of those. Nice Brett funk together with something which can be only described as tobacco or cigar like. A little bit of licorice as well. But the astringent bitterness I get is reallty off putting. It is somehow related to the fact that this ale is raw, I had it in other raw ales before.

Long storry short, I caught myself some nice brett strains in there, which I will collect, but the beer is a dumper.

Brewed the recipe on page 19 and it came out great!!
@Kyle
I want to brew this next. Apparently different browsers page differently. Your post is on page 11 for me so I'm not sure about a recipe on page 19. Do you know which post number the recipe you used was? I'm planning to go with post #366 but using Midnight wheat in place of black patent.

Last edited:
Well been saying I was gonna do this for a while and Im finally getting to it this weekend, just a 5gal ale this time, not doing the double batch ale/lager split, maybe another day. Bumped the grain bill up a bit because Im feeling like getting something a bit stronger on tap but still using Tims malt bill, OG should be around 1.079. Ill be fermenting with Mangrove Jacks west coast ale yeast, M44, which is new to me but sounds like a clean fermenting ale strain similar to a chico strain. Subbing some hops as well because I have stuff on hand I need to use but not everything that is in the original recipe. Ill be using CTZ, Amarillo, Citra, Centennial, Mosaic....making some room for the 2018 crops coming out. Wont be the same beer as Tim's original, but inspired by it.

Recipe looks like this
10lb 2 row
5lb munich 10l
8oz c60
8oz c90
1oz midnight wheat
8oz table sugar

.5oz CTZ @60
.25oz Amarillo @30
.25oz Amarillo @15
1oz Amarillo @10
1oz Citra @10

1oz Amarillo whirlpool @160f 20min
1oz Citra whirlpool @160f 20min
1oz Centennial whirlpool @160f 20min

2oz Amarillo dry hop 5 days
2oz Citra dry hop 5 days
1.5oz Centennial dry hop 5 days

1oz Amarillo dry hop 3 days
1oz Mosaic dry hop 3 days

Beersmith calculates
81.4 IBU
16.1 SRM
8.2 ABV

Ill keep this thread updated with how this comes out.

Last edited:
Back