Sluggish S-04 - temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisjrp4

Reaction score
I brewed an Oatmeal Stout on Thursday and pitched a pack of S-04 (rehydrated). Usually by now, 2 days later, it is fermenting vigorously, but not this time. My basement is at about 65 - 66 degrees right now, about 2 - 3 degrees cooler than it normally is.

What's everyone elses experience with S-04 at this temp?

I brewed a clone of breakfast stout a few weeks ago and pitched s-04. OG 1.089 after 3 days it was down to 1.022. My basement is closer to 60-64 degrees this time of year.

I found that s-04 will drop out early and under attenuate when feremented in the low 60's. If I could pick a perfect temp for this strain it would be 70 degrees even.

Tomorrow will be two weeks for my breakfast stout on the yeast. after the first week I moved it upstairs to a temp controlled closet at about 70 deg. I had some problems with diacetyl on my last batch with s-05. I also rousted the yeast when I moved it to a warmer temp. I am going to take a hydro/taste sample tonight. I will report back what I find.

Shoot, I wish I had come across this eariler. I've had a sweet stout going with S04, I wondered why it had a sluggish start with 2 packs in a 1.065 stout. Ferm temps have been in the 62-64 temps (maintained in a water bath).

Sounds like I need to pull the temps up to 66-68s

I recently dropped the temp on my brew fridge from 68 to 67f and it seems that S-04 takes about 12 hours longer to get started.

Back