Help with propane burners!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheels

Reaction score
Well I'm having a hell of a time with my burners. I'm using 1/2 gas pipe, bayou classic 0-30 psi regulator and i've tried 2 types of burners. I'm getting a red flame about 3-4 ft high with the reg. turned up. I've messed with the air shutter still no luck. Can someone please help with what to do next. Thanks

A couple questions, did you use the burner orifice fitting with the burner or did you use a 1/8" pipe fitting, which type of burner did you try. It sounds like you used a pipe nipple and without the orifice you will have tremendous flames as there is no restriction in the gas flow. If you have used a plain pipe nipple you need to replace it with this http://morebeer.com/view_product/9620/102341/Burner_Jet_-_1_8_in._x_1_in. then the flames should be at a reasonable size.

ya i just used a 1/8th nipple up to 1/2 in. i will order the parts tonight. yes i do have a valve installed to each burner

I had the same problem. The 1/8" fitting going into the burner was flowing way to much volume of propane. I took JB weld and filled the 1/8" nipple full. Then I took a 0.030" drill and drilled a hole through the JB weld. This restricted the flow enough to get a blue flame that wouldn't turn orange. I have brewed on it several times without any issues. Another thing to look at is make sure that there is nothing in to tube of the burner. Spider webs will mess up the flow of propane or gas also. Gook luck this should fix your issue.:mug:

could you not just put an iron cap over the nipple and drill a hole? or are you already using the threads on the nipple?

i have already ordered the orifice so i will use that when it comes in and let you know if that works

Back