Whoa Nellie - cold wort, cold water...what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcpup

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just completed my first PM. Brewed AHS Session Brown Porter with WPL002 English Ale yeast.

Currently wort in carboy with fermentation lock in place. Only has about 1/2 as much volume needed. I got over enthusiastic chilling my wort - it's about 65. My sanitized (preboiled and stored in sanitized containers) water is about 39F. I've put the top off water on my kitchen counter to warm up a bit.

My 2q yeast starter is rockin' on - wow - krausen city! Started it yesterday - it's been at a steady 68-70 down in my basement. I just put the starter container in the fridge to bring it down in temp.

Here's my question: how long can I wait to top of the water. I now my wort is in the danger zone without yeast to out-crowd another bad creatures that might make it in...

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. :eek:

Why wait? Top off now and pitch cool. The temp will rise up to where you want it within 12-24 hrs.

There's not one right answer, it depends, but you should be fine to wait for 12-24 hrs.. I chill all my beer in the fridge before I pitch, usually pitching about 4 hours after the boil.

Just put your containers of sanitized water in a warm water bath in a sink or bathtub, and you'll be good to go in an hour or so.

My tap water is 80F, and so my CFC only gets my wort to 80. Since I don't want to pitch at 80 I put the carboy in the ferm chamber and wait 6 hours for the temp to come down to 68. Trust me, if your sanitation is good you won't see any damage from the wait. Proper pitching/ferm temp is more important. On the other hand, pitching cold is a lot better than pitching hot. If it were me I'd wait, but it's up to you.

Just put your containers of sanitized water in a warm water bath in a sink or bathtub, and you'll be good to go in an hour or so.

Thanks for all the advice ya'll - I did the warm water bath for the water ,and got it at same temp as my yeast starter!

Bubbling away.

Thanks again for helping out an anxious newbie. :mug:

wait. ive always assumed that i should get the wort temp down as quick as possible and then pitch. (i use dry yeasts)

once i get my temp under 80 i pitch and aerate.

i havent had any ill affects from this method but if im incorrect, please correct me.

wait. ive always assumed that i should get the wort temp down as quick as possible and then pitch. (i use dry yeasts)

once i get my temp under 80 i pitch and aerate.

i havent had any ill affects from this method but if im incorrect, please correct me.

You are correct, but the OP's wort was too cold. So he had to warm it up to pitching temps.

Back