I Mashed. Therefore, I am.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
My first all-grain brew went off without a hitch today, and I have everyone here to thank for answering any questions I may have posted about the process. My DIY MLT performed flawlessly. I hit my temperatures and volumes pretty much on the spot.

HERE are some photos and random comments about this brew day.

Thanks everyone!

Looks great! What did you make?

I made a slightly modified version of Yooper's Dead Guy clone...

12 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt (2L)
1 lb Munich Malt (10L)
1/2 lb Crystal Malt (20L)
1/2 lb Caramunich Malt
1/8 lb Chocolate Malt
3/4 oz Cascade Leaf Hops (60 mins)
1/2 oz Cascade Leaf Hops (30 mins)
1/2 oz Williamette Leaf Hops (5 mins)
White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast (1-liter Starter)

My efficiency worked out to 73%. I built the recipe estimating 70% so everything there worked out well...

Looks good! I love that insulation block idea, that is awesome. That is now my next addition to my growing pile of equipment. Looks like some styrofoam wrapped in a garbage sack with a handle...is that right? (Looks better than it sounds though)

Looks good! I love that insulation block idea, that is awesome. That is now my next addition to my growing pile of equipment. Looks like some styrofoam wrapped in a garbage sack with a handle...is that right? (Looks better than it sounds though)

I don't know the technical term for it, but it's pink insulation board that I bought at home depot. It's 1/2" thick, so I cut three thicknesses of it and glued them together. It's wrapped in thick black plastic... the heaviest yard trash bags I could find...

Back