Help With Hopsdirect Order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucke

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I’ve brewed AG for a few months now, but have just ordered pre-made ingredient kits. I’m now ready to start ordering items in bulk… hops first.

I’m looking for help on an order with the goal being to cover the bases, and, to minimize the size of the order. Ideally, the order would be 3# or 4#. (If a small order of an odd hop type from the LHBS is needed, here and there, so be it.) I mostly brew British ales and hefeweizen.

Oh, pellets or leaf??

Thanks,

Definitely get a pound of East Kent Goldings for your British ales. Get a good German hop for the hefes. Hallertau is my favorite German hop.

Other than that, you can't go wrong with a pound of Cascade. Perfect for any American ales you might happen to make.

I would go with pellet. They keep easier in my opinion. If you know you are going to dry hop extensively with a certain hop, get some leaf.

+1 on the pellets. They take up much less space and retain their bitterness and flavor much longer.

-1 on the pellets. I prefer leaf, with the pellets you never know what is being ground up into the pellet. With leaf you can see how many stems & seeds that you don't need (old song reference) get included in the bag. Pellets also clog everything in my set up.

As to the variety, I am an IPA'er so can't help with that. Of course one pound of Cascade would always make me happy.

Back