Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
A blend of many recipes, though mainly Edworts Haus Pale and blacklab that copied that onto the orange peel and coriander. I will be mashing this in today for the first time.

5.5gal batch
OG 1.053/ FG 1.015 / IBU 34 / SRM 9

8 lb Marris Otter
1 lb Victory
1lb Flaked Rye
1lb Crystal 40
.5lb Wheat

.5oz Centennial 9.7%AA (60min)
.25oz Centennial (15)
.5oz Centennial (5)
.5oz Centennial (1)

4 oz fresh orange zest

I used Nottingham although I will try out Safale-04 to keep it around 1.016 instead of 1.012 that the Notty will get to.

Mash at 156 for 45min, sparge, boil 45 min Throw orange zest into the primary and rack the wort onto it.

Ferment at 62* for a week and then rack into keg for conditioning.

Is this one you've made? if so how is it?
I hate finding recipes with no taste notes. How are people to know if they're grabbing a recipe that turned out horrible?

never made it before. It will be a delicious base beer for sure, as I have made something similar with my Reddish Amber Rye in the dropdown. However this is a little different beer and the Orange should compliment it well.

Brewing day pictures.

All finished up now and ready for a beer!

photo-713118.jpg

photo-739826.jpg

photo-756469.jpg

Ahoy hoy,
I like the picture of the head brewer at the end of the photo set. Relaxed, and letting others do the hard work while merely supervising :D
Happy dog!
A Great Day to All!

On another note, I decided to taste my IPA that is currently 5 days into dry hopping and that **** is off the hook! Way better than it was before I hopped it up...holy christ!

All I can say is that if you are making it this weekend then go for it seeing as mine just hit the fermenter yesterday. I didn't add the orange zest in the primary like I was going to, so I am going to add it on Friday (to primary). This recipe is going to be good, I promise. I don't know what you are expecting out of it, but think malty, hoppy and then that citrus aroma. I don't like that bitter Pale Ale, so this has only 17 IBU's from the bittering addition. If you are worried about this recipe though, check out the original that got me thinking, Edworts Haus Pale Ale

I am going to take the zest and add boiling water onto it in a bowl, enough to cover, and then pour that into the primary. It will keep the zest fresh and aromatic. Then I will most likely rack from primary to the keg after a week and a half (so next friday).

MattUpNorth,
First, your dog could almost be a sibling of my dog, Jake:
Jake1.jpg

Secondly, I recently brewed an ale with some coarsely crushed coriander seed (1/2 oz.) and orange zest (zest of 2 oranges)...both added at flameout. When I first kegged it the orange zest was a bit much and added a bitter aftertaste. It was weird how the orange zest and bitterness from it didn't hit you until well after you had taken the sip/gulp. But that has subsided quite a bit. I was concerned at first but it's getting really good now. Also, I dunno if the orange zest had anything to do with the cloudiness but I forgot Irish Moss on this brew so I used some gelatin when I kegged it. It was pretty cloudy going into the keg (this was not a wit or anything...all barley malt) but it cleared up pretty well.

I am just about to add the zest into the primary. I didn't have any Irish Moss either (oh the irony of not so clear beer), but am going back and forth about whether or not to use the gelatin. I want clear beer, but I don't care that much. Maybe just stick it into the keg to cool today and crash out all of that yeasty crap.

Let's see. Brewed Tuesday, it is finished fermentation yesterday, zest today, leave for one week and then into the fridge for a couple of days, then keg that bad boy. I like the way this is going.

I have now tasted this many times and the orange is way in the background and the bitterness is kinda noticeable, though it could be the hop bitter and not the orange. I don't know. Also I really don't like the amount of Yeasty flavor there is from the Nottingham, so I would use Chico yeast next time instead. I think that it is a really easy drinker and have had a few people mention they like it. The problem is that I don't really enjoy it as much. I don't know yet. Perhaps it is just a little bit too light for me, though perfect for the BMC folk.

Add the hair of the dog the last 10 minutes of the boil :)

photo-799388.jpg

Zee final step, drink! It is overcarbed a bit, but tastes like beer.

Back