Peanut butter beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenKnucklesBrewery

Reaction score
Thinking about trying a Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout. Think, Reeses peanut butter cup. Was just going to brew a chocolate stout and maybe through some peanut butter in the primary or secondary. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I did an attempt at a peanut butter cup beer using robust porter as the base style about a year ago. I probably posted in a thread here about it. It turned out good, but not great. doubt I would attempt a repeat.

I ended up using 1 jar (6 oz?) of PB2 powdered peanut butter and 5 oz of Hershey's cocoa powder + 6 ounces of lactose. rehydrated everything in ~ 1 qt of boiling water. Added another 4 oz lactose at bottling. Was VERY thick mouth feel. did not age particularly well...think I still have almost a case of it!

I like Proters and Really Really like peanutbutter

A number of years ago I visiter the Boston Brewworks.

They had a peanut butter porter which I tried and was not as good as I thought it might be..

BUT

They had a write up about the history of the beer and the trouble they had formulating a recipe because of all the "FAT" in the peanutbutter.

You might see if there is any mention of it on the web...

BUT I would go buy some Almond Extract and try that instead... I did this with "some" success.

DPB

I made a Chocolate Stout and added peanut butter candy flavoring into secondary. Came out pretty good everyone that tried it said they enjoyed it. It was a subtle peanut butter flavor but it was there. The warmer the beer got in the glass the more the flavor came out.

I got the flavoring from here: https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8520-peanut-butter-flavor.aspx

I only used 1 dram in 5 gallons and if I made it again I would probably at 2 to make the flavor stronger.

BrokenKnucklesBrewery said:
Thinking about trying a Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout. Think, Reeses peanut butter cup. Was just going to brew a chocolate stout and maybe through some peanut butter in the primary or secondary. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I did the Midwest extract recipe for this (chocolate covered beavr nuts). I uszed 16oz of PB2 in secondary, along with cocoa powder and cocoa nibs. It was very very good. The choco and pnut flavors were subtle but noticable. Id like to do it again and use some in the boil and in secondary.

I do a large stout, add 3 jars in the last few minutes of the boil (you could probably use 2), and secondary on 3oz of cacao nibs. I really like the end result although it's really hard to achieve a Reese's flavor because the PB2 tastes more like peanuts than peanut butter. I've heard of guys using real PB though.

Ok so I have my base recipe. A Milk stout. 5 gallon batch as follows.

1lb crystal 60L
6lb dark Munich
1lb 2-row
8oz roasted barley
.25lb chocolate

1oz cluster @ 60min
1oz cluster @ 30min

Mash with 3.5 gallons @ 155* for 1 hour.
Batch sparge

I know i need to add lactose to make it a true milk stout, but this being my first stout, I don't know when to add it, or how much.

As far as the chocolate peanut butter, I am going to use cocoa nibs and pb powder. Should I add any to the boil? Also saw where people left the whole batch in primary the whole time and just added them in after two weeks.

Brew day is Sunday!

I would add the lactose the last 10 minute of the boil. I would add your chocolate nibs and on powder to the secondary, then rack your beer on top. If you put the powders in the boil, it could possibly cook out the favors that you want to thrive in your beer. If you add to secondary, it will have a more distinguishable taste.

Also if it were me, I would add a little Maltodextrin to make it more full body. I love milk stouts. Sounds like a great recipe

Add the Maltodextrin the last 10-15 minutes to the boil. It really doesn't matter. In the HB store near us, the MD comes in 8 oz packages. I use the full 8 oz in a 5 gal batch. It does wonders on thinness. Same concept as flower to water to make gravy.

I just did one with chocolate PB2 (the powdered de-fatted stuff). Worked like a charm.

blakelyc, how much chocolate pb2 did you use and how and when did you add it, if you don't mind my asking? i'm racking my porter to secondary today (no free kegs at the moment) and am thinking about turning it in to some sort of peanut butter cup porter. I'm curious about your method and how it tasted. Thanks :mug:

DuClaw makes "Sweet Baby Jesus" chocolate peanut butter porter. The peanut part tastes very artificial to me, not sure how they add it. The base beer itself also doesn't really work for me.

Overall it seems like it sounds like a better idea than it turns out to taste.

blakelyc, how much chocolate pb2 did you use and how and when did you add it, if you don't mind my asking? i'm racking my porter to secondary today (no free kegs at the moment) and am thinking about turning it in to some sort of peanut butter cup porter. I'm curious about your method and how it tasted. Thanks :mug:

For the one I did I had almost 2 pounds in the boil and about 13oz in the secondary for a 10g batch.

For the one I did I had almost 2 pounds in the boil and about 13oz in the secondary for a 10g batch.

I used none in the boil and the weight equivalent of 1/4 cup (don't have the exact measurement at hand) per gallon in the secondary. I didn't add any to the boil because I was making a base porter that I treated three different ways in secondary. I bottled after it sat for 6 days based on the heavy peanut butter aromatics.

The final pb2 product was obviously peanut butter, but still had good base beer character... It was crazy popular for ski season :)

Back