Magic Chef Keezer Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gander

Reaction score
I bought a Magic Chef 7.2 CuFt freezer built a collar and installed my White-Rogers control that I had been using on a smaller keezer. Plugged it in, it ran fine for an hour or so, then installed my taps, gas distributor and moved my kegs into it and had a beer to celebrate last night. Came home this evening, poured myself a beer and thought that it was a little warm, readjusted the control, checked it a while later and no change, what the heck. The compressor is very warm, starts, runs for 3 seconds then shuts off, two and a half minutes later it repeats. I thought that I might have it too close to the wall. I unplugged it and moved it a couple more inches from the wall, waited for the compressor to return to room temperature and plugged it in, with the same results. Has anyone else had a similar problem using this unit? I called Home Depot and they will replace the unit, just do not want to go thru this time and again as they are an hour away.

I may not be much help, but where is your probe for your White-Rogers controller? I assume the White-Rogers controller is similar to a Ranco or Johnson controller?

If the compressor seems to be running, I'd start troubleshooting the controller.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum from a fellow (former) Michigander!

Start with the simple stuff first.

What is the thermostat setting on the freezer? I'll assume its at the coldest setting.

The voltage coming out of the controller should be 110VAC. Check the amps too, that you have enough for the keezer to operate properly. I'd look at the keezer spec sheet to determine the current load. Don't use extension cords. (Edit: If they aren't rated for the amp load.)

You can yank the controller out of the circuit altogether and see if the problem lies with with just the controller. Don't let your beer freeze though.

Don't use extension cords.

I understand the normal household extension cords aren't rated for the amperage of a freezer. Shouldn't you be able to use an extension cord thats rated for the amperage?

I've run my regular home freezer with a 20' 12 amp cord, because I've been too lazy to install an outlet there for 2 years now. I'm sure it's cost me a few pennies in extra juice.

I understand the normal household extension cords aren't rated for the amperage of a freezer. Shouldn't you be able to use an extension cord thats rated for the amperage?

I've run my regular home freezer with a 20' 12 amp cord, because I've been too lazy to install an outlet there for 2 years now. I'm sure it's cost me a few pennies in extra juice.

I'm using a either a 'heavy duty' or 'medium duty' extension cord (can't remember which kind I bought) and it seems to be doing fine.

Yes - That's True. You should know how many amps the keezer or fridge is pulling. FCS5233-03/FY800: Keeping it Safe: Extension Cords

Thank you all for your input. My problem was an electrical supply issue. I had been using a short extension chord on my smaller keezer and tried using the same with my new larger unit. I have installed a very short 14 gauge extension and all is working fine.

Flyin’ Lyon a White-Rogers control has the same type of sensor as a Johnson or Ranco, it is a direct wire unit that I have wired with a 3’ air conditioner extension chord.

Schlenkerla I have my freezer control set at two and a half on a range of 1 to 5, I have always avoided running any thing at max unless absolutely necessary. Would there be a benefit to having it set at the top of the range?

I have my freezer control set at two and a half on a range of 1 to 5, I have always avoided running any thing at max unless absolutely necessary. Would there be a benefit to having it set at the top of the range?

Because you are using the temprature controler, you want to make sure that the built in thermostat is never triggered. It is more important if you are using this in a fridge, since the magic chef has a swing of about 0-20f using it's thermostat. I have my 7.2fc MagicChef set to 1.

Back