Where to buy Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Searched, did come up with anything

Getting ready to bottle some tomorrow and realized I don't have any. Where can it be bought besides HBS's Do grocery stores have it?? Walmart or Kroger or..? OR anything else I can use? Don't wanna use anything like brown sugar because it's a cream ale

call a natural food store, our local Co-Op sells it cheaper that the LHBS
-ander

no ill effects from standard table sugar? I've read here and got the general consensus was to not use it. Or is this only for brewing, not bottling.

If you have some Malt extract around you could use that. The demera is also a good choice. I probably would not use the table sugar but thats just me.:eek:

Hey, but you could order a larger bag and let the brew age 1 more week. It's used in food service for sausage making so I bought a
#50 @ work and buy some from work every now and then.
I am guessing that you don't have a LHBS?

IrregularPulse said:
no ill effects from standard table sugar? I've read here and got the general consensus was to not use it. Or is this only for brewing, not bottling.

I've never used table sugar, but have read that it can result in a cidery flavor in the beer. The thing is, corn sugar, aka dextrose, is nearly completely fermentable and therefore will not add any sweetness or off flavors to the beer (because it is all consumed by the yeast during bottle conditioning). Table sugar contains sucrose, which is not so fermentable and therefore can affect beer flavor.

I once started into the bottle process without any corn sugar or DME in the house. It was a brown ale and I decided to make it an experiment. In place of corn sugar, I primed the beer with molasses (which of course contains all sorts of unfermentables). My "molasses brown ale" went on to be one of my most popular brews among friends. Moral of the story: Sometimes experimentation yields winners, so I would encourage you to be creative!

MrFebtober said:
I've never used table sugar, but have read that it can result in a cidery flavor in the beer. The thing is, corn sugar, aka dextrose, is nearly completely fermentable and therefore will not add any sweetness or off flavors to the beer (because it is all consumed by the yeast during bottle conditioning). Table sugar contains sucrose, which is not so fermentable and therefore can affect beer flavor.

FWIW, both corn sugar and table sugar will give you cidery flavors when you use too much of it but that is a function of the yeast. Both ferment out completely.

At the percentage used for bottle priming, you have zero issues with off flavors.

brewt00l said:
FWIW, both corn sugar and table sugar will give you cidery flavors when you use too much of it but that is a function of the yeast. Both ferment out completely.

At the percentage used for bottle priming, you have zero issues with off flavors.

Thanks for correcting me. I just consulted Papazian's book and I was indeed wrong about sucrose being less fermentable. However, he does mention that there is a higher chance of off flavors with sucrose due to inversion of sucrose during boil (accidentally making candi). But, like you said, for priming, this wouldn't be an issue.

Just to add to what others have said, table sugar is 100% fermentable. Corn sugar (dextrose) is not, it is closer to 95%. This is why you would use less table sugar (about 5% less). Here is a good BYO article on the subject: http://***********/feature/1542.html.

All in all, use the table sugar, it will work just fine. People like to use the corn sugar because it is much easier to dissolve into the beer.

Another resource: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

I used 5 ounces of table sugar. I used volume 5oz, instead of weight. Was that wrong? It looked consistant with the amount of corn sugar I used on my first two batches. I didn't think of this untill I went to measure it out. Boiled it in 2 cups water, cooled and added to bottling bucket as and racked/botteled as normal.

IrregularPulse said:
I used 5 ounces of table sugar. I used volume 5oz, instead of weight. Was that wrong? It looked consistant with the amount of corn sugar I used on my first two batches. I didn't think of this untill I went to measure it out. Boiled it in 2 cups water, cooled and added to bottling bucket as and racked/botteled as normal.

You are fortunate in that it is only going to be slightly off. By my calculations you are about a 4% increase over if you would have used weight and not volume. Remember, that density is the measure of weight per unit volume. Table sugar is roughly 1.59 g/ml...however, the thing is table sugar will produce more volumes of CO2 than corn sugar...5 oz seems like a lot to me.

Actually you'll probably be ok, as long as it wasn't a cold ferment and your volume of beer isn't less than 5 gal. It may be a bit overcarbonated though.

Do what you want, but caramelized sugar is a carcinogen. This is not a myth, it's a fact. Google it[/URL].

Be well.

Bob

Thanks there Debbie Downer for bringing back a 3.5 year old post to add your oh so helpful comment. I'm betting on Spam here, but giving you the benefit of the doubt.

So I'm sure you have cut out any and all possibilities of carcinogenic foods and items in your surrounding areas. I'm sure you don't grill any meats either, cause those black lines, that's char, and Google that if you want, because that's carcinogenic as well. I'm sure you don't have any synthetic materials in your house, cause things like your carpet, insulation, laminate, glues, solvents, etc out gas and those are carcinogenic. I'm guessing you don't drive a newer car, because all the plastics inside are out gassing carcinogens as well, especially a hot car in the sun. But then I'm guess you don't drive an older car either because of the carcinogens that it puts out the tail pipe, so you must have given up on modern transportation. You must also not live in a city, because all of the carcinogens around, so country living at it's best huh? I'm kind of surprised to even see someone like you on here, because don't cell phones, or computers or TVs put out radiation that causes cancer? Do you put on a lead suit before using your microwave as well? Wait, that lead could accidentally leach into your skin causing lead poisoning. Wow, it must seriously suck to be you.

I talked to the home brew supply guy I buy my stuff
from today about using honey, he didn't know if it would
be good or bad or how much ( he said DME). So I'll just have to guess
I've heard of using raisins on here HBT as I only have a gallon so to bottle
I will give both a shot an report back in a few weeks.

Wow.

25297d1309921005-intruder-recall-zombie-thread.jpg

I read in a book i beleive it was the alaskan bootleggers bible. That a small amount of lemon juice would concert sucrose to dextrose. And since its a small amount u wont taste it.

I read in a book i beleive it was the alaskan bootleggers bible. That a small amount of lemon juice would concert sucrose to dextrose. And since its a small amount u wont taste it.

That might be the case, but sucrose is a dimer (two molecules - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose) You'd be left with half glucose and half fructose.

Dissolving sucrose in hot water would achieve the same thing, though.

Just use sucrose (table sugar) and let the yeast do it. Sucrose works exactly as well as dextrose (aka glucose or corn sugar) when bottling. Use 10% less table sugar than the same amount of dextrose (dextrose holds moisture; about 9% of its weight; sugar is crystalline and dry).

To make sure it's well dissolved in the wort, just add the table sugar to a pan with a cup of water, heat/stir till dissolved, then add direction to wort, stir, bottle.

Yes, I know this is a zombie thread.

Just use 2/3 cup table sugar instead. Only place I've ever seen corn sugar is at home brew stores.
I'm making apple cider and wondered if i can use brown sugar and how much should i use for 5 gallons? If i use table sugar how much for 5 gallons?
Thanks!

Back