Pike Street IPA clone anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Love

Reaction score
Hi...homebrewtalk.com newbie here.

I have a friend who I'll be brewing with this weekend, and she asked me to come up with my favorite commercially available IPA so we could try and track down the recipe to make a clone...well, somewhat of a clone. We wanted to "hop it up" and make into an IIPA.

After lots of thought, I finally remembered how much I liked Pike Street's IPA (I tried it back about 10 years ago when it was still distributed in Texas. Unfortunately it isn't any longer) - nothing else had popped into my head by that point. Back in the day, I wasn't much of a hophead...but after brewing my own and trying tons of homebrew, I've come over to the dark side. Going back to my memory of Pike's IPA, I remember how much I liked it then back when I wasn't too big on hops.

So...I've done some searching/googling around the web and wasn't able to track a clone recipe down. The good side effect of my search is that I stumbled onto this website (I've already gleaned tons of good ideas from the forums); I've been lurking around for a few days, and I'm finally posting something.

Therefore, I'm looking to you guys for help...anyone have an IPA clone recipe from Pike Street? Thanks...

Welcome to the forums Chuck, and before I forget, the Houston bunch is on for 4:00 tomorrow at the Ginger Man (aren't we DeRoux?)...be there or be square.

Can't help you with the Pike Street stuff tho...never heard of it. Hopefully someone else can help.

Not sure if you are extract or AG brewer. The recipe I have for Pike IPA is from the book N. American Clone Brews.

Extract

Steep for 45 minutes at 150F in 2.5 gallons:
1lb amber malt, 8oz munich malt, 8oz carapils, 1lb 50L crystal

Bring to boil

Add 5.5lbs light DME

6AAU Magnum (90)
6AAU Chinook (60)
4AAU Chinook (30)
3AAU Goldings (flameout)
Remove from heat, steep 15 minutes
Cool to 68F and pitch American ale yeast (Wyeast 1056 or equivalent)

Ferment 2 weeks at 68F, then transfer to secondary and add:
3AAU Goldings for dry hop
Condition 3-4 weeks

Let me know if you need the AG version.

StudentBrewer - Thanks very much! I just did my first AG batch with a buddy, but for the purposes of brewing this weekend, I think we'll probably end up doing an extract like you posted. Again, thanks, it's very much appreciated.

EP - So there is a Houston bunch on the boards here? Great. Do you guys usually do a monthly outing like you are doing tomorrow at the GingerMan? Would love to come by there this afternoon but today is one of the few days I actually go into work (3 days a week at home in Spring Branch, 2 days up near Tomball), so I don't think I'd be able to make it. Currently I'm a member of the KGB...you associate with the Foam Rangers or maybe the BA Mastronauts?

Back