All Chinook?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
Thinking about doing one. 2 row, biscuit, crystal, wheat and carapils. Big beer 1.100 +, with 100 IBU's. What say the EAC's

I think it will be like using a bastard file on your tongue! I've had one or two all Chinook IPAs & it is harsh in large quantities.

I did an all Chinook IPA (see Brown Hoppy in my signature). It was about a 1.060 with ~70IBUs.
The Chinook was a little harsh, especially young but the beer has mellowed into one of my favorites. The bite from Chinook is different from most of the bitter beers I have tasted.
It won't be a mellow beer but I bet you will enjoy it. And if it does turn out too harsh, leave it age for a couple more months and it should be perfect.
Craig

I think you guys are right about the harshness, now considering going with all glacier, lots of em.

NewAGBrewer said:
I think you guys are right about the harshness, now considering going with all glacier, lots of em.
Scared you off did we? Wimp :)

Actually, I really like my all Chinook and quite a few friends have enjoyed it also. It just has a different bite than similar IPAs. You have to be a hophead to really enjoy it though. But if you attempting such a beer I would assume you are :mug:

Craig

I fear no beer, But I think the low cohumulone will make a better IPA
Edit: Think 1.118 and 170 ibus is too much?

NewAGBrewer said:
I fear no beer, But I think the low cohumulone will make a better IPA
Edit: Think 1.118 and 170 ibus is too much?
Personally, yes.
I think really big beers end up sweet and the hops starts getting to be less important in the beer. I'd rather go with a 1.070-1.090 IPA with lots of late hops additions. That type of beer is going to be a real hop head beer. I think a 1.118 is going to be a Barleywine no matter how many hops are added. The thick wort just won't dissolve any more hops essence (flavor, aroma, bitterness).
Still if you offered me one, I would take it in a instant :D

Craig

CBBaron said:
The thick wort just won't dissolve any more hops essence (flavor, aroma, bitterness).
Still if you offered me one, I would take it in a instant :D

Craig
Point taken

Check out Dudes Pliny recipe for more info on Gravity vs IBU's. By the way, .... insane recipe.

The problem is simply you can't get much over 90 IBU without doing some tricks a homebrewer can't perform or resorting to hop extracts. That's why barleywines tend to finish sweet.

Columbus & chinook make a bang-up IPA. Use them both for bittering, chinook for flavor & columbus for aroma. Or just mix them and toss a handful in every ten minutes.

I'm drinking dude pliny as I type and it is awesome. I think I will go for the all glacier ipa and see how it comes out.

Back