AHS Hoegaarden clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I just popped one of these for the first time tonight after 2 weeks in bottles and WOW! :rockin:

While I wasn't able to get anywhere near the color of Hoegaarden, all taste aspects of AHS's version were dead on. I picked up a 6'er of the original to taste test against my clone tonight and I have to say that I am VERY impressed with AHS's ability to accurately reproduce the taste and flavors of the original.

My clone has a bite that's a bit sharper, but with the assistance of swmbo, I was only able to detect the difference between the two on 3 out of 5 samples - I got the other two wrong.... that's how dead on this kit was.

Nonetheless, I'm attempting to harvest the yeast from the Hoegaarden bottles that I just emptied. For the sake of science, I *HAD* to drink all 6 of them :tank:

The bottom 1/2 inch of beer was left in each bottle and shaken vigorously to get the yeast off of the bottom of the bottles, then the contents of each bottle were emptied into the starter that I made (consisting of 1.25 cups of DME and 1.25l of water). I suppose that I'll find out in a couple days if the Hoegaarden yeast survived their probable 6 month journey from brewing in Belgium to the state store in Marion, OH. If this yeast strain is still active, I'm guessing that I'm going to need to run it through 2 or 3 steps.

Status updates to follow.

That's great. You should post the recipe in the database, so others can use it. I've posted their Blue Moon clone. I've made it a few times and it too is very good.

Cheers :mug:

Back