Two weeks makes a big difference.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I asked about an IPA that I tried after 3 weeks after bottling. It had an extreme alcohol taste (like pouring a couple of shots of wiskey into a beer). It also smelled very odd. You guys/gals said that it would mellow in a couple of weeks and boy has it. After 5 weeks it is a great tasting IPA. I just came back from Half Moon Bay CA (my son lives in the area), and this IPA tases like the IPA from Half Moon Bay Brewery. I really like their IPA and I am extremely happy about this. Thanks for the advice about waiting. I actually was considering dumping the batch.

I did that with a wine I had made. It was a pom/blueberry that was extreamly tart and had a hell of an alcohol burn at three months in the bottle. I was very close to dumping it because it didn't even taste like a wine, more like overly alcoholic sour juice. But since I only had one bottle of it, I figured 'what the hell, it won't take up much room' and let it be. At six months it tastes like a fine merlot or cab sav, with that unique pom flavor. It still has a little tartness to it, so I think by a year or so it will be done. It just goes to show, don't toss anything unless its growing furry ;)

mike

Back