What would you be willing to pay for 2 glass carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mb2658

Reaction score
I was checking Craigslist in my area for some more carboys when I cam across an ad for 2 carboys, one is 5 gallons and the other is 6.5. They must be made out of crystal because the guy wants $130 for both of them. I think that he is out of his mind. What is the most you would pay for 2 used glass carboys?

well i just paid $30 for a new 5gal, so...$60 :)

i scoured craigslist for months. nothing really showing. then, about a month ago, I saw it - someone posted 3x 5-gallon glass carboys for $10 each. sadly, i was too late. and i was only like 12 hours after the posting, lol. so i bit the bullet and ran to northern.

thus ends my tale of woe

I was checking Craigslist in my area for some more carboys when I cam across an ad for 2 carboys, one is 5 gallons and the other is 6.5. They must be made out of crystal because the guy wants $130 for both of them. I think that he is out of his mind. What is the most you would pay for 2 used glass carboys?

sometimes people think they have something special in a carboy, maybe because the plastic water jugs have taken over? sometimes the carboy does turn out to be a vintage carboy but most of the time they are not.

I can usually get a carboy used on kijiji for $10-20/ea. Usually $10. I have moved on to better bottles though, sold the glass carboys to my friend for $10/ea.

They are cheap where I am 7-10$ each for sure. For awhile I could have had one to multiple dozens for 5$ each. I have gotten them in a package of used stuff for a couple dollars each before. High liquor taxes and a fruit growing region makes for a huge used carboy supply.

Ya maybe $35-40 for both used carboys? In my area the 5's retail for $30 new and the 6.5's for $45.

Yeah, 130 is a bit steep unless they come filled with his spare change collection (nickels, dimes, and quarters).

Didn't the prices of carboys temporarily increase for a little while a couple years ago? Maybe the guy bought them when the prices had peaked and doesn't realize that you can buy two new for 70-ish.

In my area, they would sell pretty fast for $50-$60. New 5G ones are $31.95 and I think 6.5G ones are $39.95.

I once came across a glass carboy at a flea market. The lady wanted $20. Back then I could get a brand new one for $20. I told her that. She held firm, saying that she could get $20 for it. I didn't doubt it. Then again, I wasn't going to spend $20 on a carboy that had been used for who knows what, when I could get a new one for the same price.

If I were you, I'd let the guy know he's charging way too much and provide proof. He might still want to get what he thinks he can get. There are probably a lot of people out there who don't know any better, and just want a cool glass jug.

Homercidal said:
If I were you, I'd let the guy know he's charging way too much and provide proof. He might still want to get what he thinks he can get. There are probably a lot of people out there who don't know any better, and just want a cool glass jug.

Oh believe me, I tried. Apparently he derived his price by going on the Internet, finding the most expensive place for carboys and adding shipping to our area into the equation. I told him that his price was way too high but more power to him if he could find someone to buy them. The conversation then devolved in him going on a rant about the horrors of using copper and aluminum in brewing. The guy offered to "give" me a video that he saw that covers the topic. He finally wanted to make a bet that he would lower the price if I could find a brewery "like Coors or even Keystone" that uses still copper brewing kettles. I told him that Coors uses copper kettles and has for years and recommended that he your their brewery if he is ever in Golden.

He lowered the price to $100 for the two carboys, a carboy hauler and the video. I stopped responding to his emails at this point. Last night he sent me yet another email telling me that the carboys had been sold, which he thought that he would "let me know" because I seemed kind of interested. I didn't respond to that email. Then this morning I get an e-mail from Amazon.com where he forwarded me the price of a new 6.5 gallon carboy (again, the most expensive one that he could find.). I knew that Craigslist had some freaks on it but I thought that they stuck to the casual encounters section.

yeah, dealing with getting homebrew stuff in the classifieds is a mixed bag. I've had some good experiences, but last time the guy wanted to deal over the phone, and then screamed and ranted at me when I offered him 80% of the asking price, before saying that he wouldn't sell his USED items to me at any price because of my "attitude", then hung up.

That said, I have gotten some really good deals too.

Got a 5 gallon with a neck handle and some tubing for $5... the deals pop up every now and then.

yeah, dealing with getting homebrew stuff in the classifieds is a mixed bag.

Definitely. In my area, the big homebrew store sells cleaned ball lock cornies with new still in the plastic bag o-rings for $39.50, yet there's currently 1 and usually more cornies for $50 each on CL.

And don't get me started on the person trying to sell empty Grolsch bottles for $8/each.

Just saw a brand new (used only 1 time! (as if we could tell that...)) in GR for $25...

That's overpriced since you can buy a brand new one from a store for like $29. Well, I guess you don't pay for shipping to get it, but you do have to drive there.

Heh heh apparently they are worth very little. I'm listing a 6.5 and a 5 on Craigslist for $40 and not even an inquiry...

Holy cow! Buy them all and sell on CL. You could tripple your investment and still be selling well below 20 dollars a pop. But I suppose shipping would increase the cost quite a bit.

I bought the 5 gal one. Shipping is a killer deal for sure.

At the mean time, I just be happy with used homebrewing equipment availability around here.

:mug:

some people just don't know any better. This guy in my area wants $75 for an old carboy made in brazil

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my 1995 BMW 530i bundled with a used 5 gallon carboy for $54,030.00 Free shipping in the lower 48 is included ;)

microbusbrewery,

Do you have a link to pictures for that 1995 BWM? I'm interested...
:D

microbusbrewery said:
If anyone is interested, I'm selling my 1995 BMW 530i bundled with a used 5 gallon carboy for $54,030.00 Free shipping in the lower 48 is included ;)

Now that is funny.

Latest posts

Back