How does everyone clean blowoff hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmkealiher

Reaction score
Been going through a lot of blowoff hose because they get all crusty and are impossiple to clean. Is it OK to reuse crusty hose, or should I keep throwing them out? Or is there a secret to cleaning them?

Well I soak mine for a bit and most of the junk comes out then I just run my bottle brush through them for any remaining crap throwing them out has got to get expensive

I do that (^) too. A good soak in some OxyClean goes a long way.
And I buy cheap tubing from Home Depot that I won't feel bad about throwing away when it gets to gross.
Good Luck!
Sarah.

I use this on the end of 1/2" pvc with a garden hose connection on one end and stuff it through the pipe. 3 passes and your done.

Haven't used blow off hose in ages, proper temp control and you never need one, they are byatch to clean either get gunked up with yeast or become white from starsan

Sent from GT-I9100M

I usually stick the airlock on as soon as it quits blowing off.It cleans off with hot water flush and i soak it in hot water then sanitize it,but they sell stuff like c-brite or something for that caked on stuff.

Haven't used blow off hose in ages, proper temp control and you never need one, they are byatch to clean either get gunked up with yeast or become white from starsan

Sent from GT-I9100M

I agree, but a using blow-off is allot easier than cleaning a floor or sopping up a gallon of splooge from the bottom of the fermeezer even a lager at 52 degrees puked on me

I soak mine in PBW (works well for stained beverage lines, too). Soak for a few days, rinse, and sanitize.

Sent from GT-I9100M[/Q

Its not that black and white. I use a hydrated coopers yeast at proper temps but a fairly high gravity and it went barzerk. I had a blow off, it filled the jar and i had a nice pool in the tub it all happened like a highschooler whos parents went away for the night, except it didnt clean up its mess before I got home. Just left me with a wtf!? :mug:

Sent from GT-I9100M

Let us know how well this works for you the first time you use 3944, 3522 or anything of the ESB yeasts.

someone mentioned a bottle brush. made me think about the "bore snake" rifle barrel cleaner i have. you could probably tie a string or something to a brush and somehow feed the string through the tube first so you can then pull the brush through. should work. i am a noob so i really havent had the need yet.

Don't they make glass blow off tubes anymore? I have one that I bought years (and years) ago. It is shaped like a 'J' with a flat bottom. The short end is fitted with a cork that either goes in the carboy or fits in an airlock without the float and cap. the size is such that I can immerse the long end in a container of water set along side the primary. The glass is Pyrex (or equivalent) and cleans easily with soaking in Oxyclean. This thing has had a lot of use.

DevilDog2000 said:
Don't they make glass blow off tubes anymore? I have one that I bought years (and years) ago. It is shaped like a 'J' with a flat bottom. The short end is fitted with a cork that either goes in the carboy or fits in an airlock without the float and cap. the size is such that I can immerse the long end in a container of water set along side the primary. The glass is Pyrex (or equivalent) and cleans easily with soaking in Oxyclean. This thing has had a lot of use.

I have never heard of such a beast post a pic please

I have never heard of such a beast post a pic please

Here is the beast laying on my table. The black caps on the ends just keep it closed up when not in use and the gray stuff is a foam protective sleeve like you use on pipes to keep them from sweating. The other picture is an example of how it is used. I know, I know, I need to fill that carboy with some home brew. That is a 6 gal. carboy so the water container (the white container) needs to be raised up a bit.

Blow Off Tube 001.jpg

Blow Off Tube 002.jpg

paraordnance said:

Sent from GT-I9100M

Yeah u must be underpitching. I just pitched a 2 l starter of 001 at 64f and it blew krausen for days.

dwarven_stout said:
Let us know how well this works for you the first time you use 3944, 3522 or anything of the ESB yeasts.

+1
I just had 3522 blow off my lid with a blowoff tube in place. The need for a blowoff is also a question of how full you want to make your fermentor.

I bet you can get you some pyrex tubing from a glass blower, OR have a Glass Blower build you one.....

hrm..... things to ponder

-=Jason=-

someone mentioned a bottle brush. made me think about the "bore snake" rifle barrel cleaner i have. you could probably tie a string or something to a brush and somehow feed the string through the tube first so you can then pull the brush through. should work. i am a noob so i really havent had the need yet.

That's what I do. Soak the tube in Oxyclean first. I tie a length of fishing line to the brush and put a small weight on the other end. Drop the weight through the tube and pull the brush through. Works great.

I never used this yeast and probably never will. My lager starins, 2565 and 1272, Notty and S-05 ferment without blow off just fine. I'm not the fan of English Ales, mostly do Kolsch, APAs, lagers. I'm sure somebody need a blow off hose, but its not my case :)

paraordnance said:
I never used this yeast and probably never will. My lager starins, 2565 and 1272, Notty and S-05 ferment without blow off just fine. I'm not the fan of English Ales, mostly do Kolsch, APAs, lagers. I'm sure somebody need a blow off hose, but its not my case :)

My biggest blowoff was with notty. Had a quart of blowpff material fermenting 5gal in a 7gal bucket with notty.

Arkador said:
My biggest blowoff was with notty. Had a quart of blowpff material fermenting 5gal in a 7gal bucket with notty.

Mine too! Just finished a ferment with 2 packs of Notty and it blew off for two days...sounded like a hot tub in the blowoff bucket :)

Yeah, I've never had trouble with those ones. Trust me, though- you try fermenting with those strains I listed and you'll change your tune of blowoff tunes pretty darn quick. :p

I have tried soaking in oxy then starsan and I can never seem to be able to get them clean. At least get the smell out. I just keep buying more hose. I am trying to switch over to 6.5 gal buckets. I don't really need blow off with them.

Back