Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm man enough to say "Nice piece of meat you have in your hand. I'd like to see it when you're done playing with it".;)
Are those hand washing instructions on the mirror?

LOL...

Yeah, it's always interesting when the instructions get comments... My 5 yo son is autistic, so "storyboarding" certain things is a good reminder.

Think you're fancy with all that PRIME brisket don't ya! :p

Of course! Interestingly, brisket pricing is coming down. This was $3.39/lb...

Did a beef tongue for the first time. definitely won't be the last...

2F84D708-B960-4B7C-BB4C-56CA8779FFD3_zps1iaswhlv.jpg

ADE3AF37-B35B-4597-A952-E8B9AA0282E6_zpshqgjns1l.jpg

1DCE18B1-9059-437B-9841-84E05A3107A6_zpsc5yl1uh2.jpg

13CA2F53-8C83-4BED-800A-CD50E13DA4DB_zpsfi1dqkxb.jpg

The weber kettle got a work out yesterday. Beef Brisket, Pork Butt and Ham Hocks (for Collard Greens) first, then 4 racks of Pork Spare Ribs.
photo-1-65796.jpg

photo-2-65797.jpg

photo-32-65809.jpg

photo-4-65799.jpg

Used the kitchenaid with dough hook to pull the pork, worked great but did it too long.
photo-5-65800.jpg

I did a dry-rubbed brisket yesterday. Fat cap turned into golden-brown savory/spicy meat butter! 3 hours, 20 minutes in the pit, then another sprinkle of dry rub, 3C water & in a biscuit pan covered with foil @ 270F for another 2 1/2 hours.

I did a dry-rubbed brisket yesterday. Fat cap turned into golden-brown savory/spicy meat butter! 3 hours, 20 minutes in the pit, then another sprinkle of dry rub, 3C water & in a biscuit pan covered with foil @ 270F for another 2 1/2 hours.

Looks good. Why water though? I have a friend who swears by beef broth for extra flavor

No beef broth/stock, & the kottbusser seemed a little light for this application? Stout not ready yet. Next time, I'm thinking of cutting the liquid down to 1 1/2C. A 12oz bottle of my whiskely stout would've been good. Didn't realize it was a pork brisket till I cut into it. My wife took out this Guinness marinaded brisket today she found at Walmart. The dry rub turned out great though. About 1/4C Weber's N'Orleans Cajun seasoning, 1/3C demerara sugar, 1/2tsp black pepper, 2tsp onion powder mixed together for the rub. Made a sauce for the meat with about 1 1/2-2C's Cactus Butter, 1TBSP rub, 8oz mushrooms split & sliced with pan juices.

That's a very interesting idea, using your mixer to shred. Looks like it worked great. What do you mean by "did it too long"? How long is right?

I'd love to do this. The shredding is a bit of a drag.

I like it shredded a little coarser/chunkier. I was adding the meat to the bowl with the mixer on. By the time the last bit of meat was added, the initial meat was over shredded. Next time I would add it all with the mixer off, then shred it all at once. I agree it's a drag.

That's a very interesting idea, using your mixer to shred. Looks like it worked great. What do you mean by "did it too long"? How long is right?

I'd love to do this. The shredding is a bit of a drag.

A moderator not reading the entire thread?! Tsk tsk.

Seriously though, I started doing this many years ago and per my previous post on this, I find the best way to do it is to just press the meat down until you get the right consistency.

A few more details: I like mine shredded with very few chunks, so I throw the butt in the bowl, fold the hook down straight through the middle of it, then turn it on to about speed 4 and press with a wooden spoon as needed. It doesn't take long.

Decide to smoke baby backs,but was out of my homemade rub,being the lazy bastid that I am I put on a light coating of Tony Chachere's original and a good coating of brown sugar.Dammit ! They were so good I might give up my super secret rib rub.

I was thinking about pattying up some burgers with some store bought jerky seasoning and some pre-cooked bacon, and smoking them for an hour or so before I grill them. I am wondering if anyone has tried smoking burgers before? Also is it ok to go over the recommended amount of seasoning per lb of burger to get a bit more flavor? I know the blend I have has .85% nitrate and I don't want to get anybody sick. But I would like them to pop with jerky flavor. Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind I see the cure packet and the seasoning packet are seperate, so I just won't use the cure. Still curious about a good time and temp to use with the burgers themselves though. I have an electric masterbuilt, and will be using a 90%lean ground beef. Thanks!

Smoked burgers are bangin. Time depends on temp. Temp is whatever you want to cook the meat to, say 135 for med Rare or 155 for well done. Smoke with a heartier wood.

I've done burgers many, many times on hickory for about 3 hours. Catch is to put them on direct heat for about 3-5 minutes per side before turning up the smoke. Always turned out wonderful.

GF bought a brisket today. I've never cooked a brisket so started researching today...holy crap...there is a lot to know about cooking brisket!

I have a pork picnic shoulder on the Primo going low and slow at 220F with some hickory.

Tomorrow will be a day of BBQ and beer. I think our Founding Fathers would approve :D

GF bought a brisket today. I've never cooked a brisket so started researching today...holy crap...there is a lot to know about cooking brisket!

Do it right and it will reward you with the most tasty thing you have ever eaten. I did my first one about 6 months ago, and I try and do one every other month.

I love brisket. It is a nice departure from pulled pork BBQ. It can be expensive, but so are ribs these days, and at least with brisket you are paying for meat and not bone...

2 chickens going in the big chief tomorrow morn with some manitoulin harvested cherry wood. will be brewing a 10 gal centennial base pale ale split with 2 diff yeasts. at same time

I put on a bunch of pork today, loin end, shank and butt. 2 roaster chickens and a deer roast some part of the hind if I remember right.

Yesterday I smoked 4 racks of pork ribs, 2 pork shoulders, and a brisket. We should have food through the end of next week. :D

Unfortunately I did not have any :goat: to smoke.

Back