Temporary Styrofoam Top for Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finally taking the leap and converting my picnic-faucet keezer to a tap-enabled collar-type keezer....and these next 4 days are perfect candidates for my time.

My issue/question...I want to remove the lid obviously so that I can build my collar and I don't want to remove my kegs and C02 tank...mostly considering that I'm force carbing two kegs right now and want to maintain temp as they carb. Would it be possible to simply buy a piece of styrofoam and duct tape it to the freezer so it has a tight seal? I think this would keep the cold in pretty well? I'm thinking so, but thought I'd get some feedback before diving in....

I would think you would be fine. I am assuming you have a temp controller so worst case is it works a little harder. Homedepot sells a pack or 6 or 8 3/4 styro insulation for 6.47 (bought some a few hours ago)

I would lay the styro down throw some blankets on it and keep it out of the sun.

I would think you would be fine. I am assuming you have a temp controller so worst case is it works a little harder. Homedepot sells a pack or 6 or 8 3/4 styro insulation for 6.47 (bought some a few hours ago)

I would lay the styro down throw some blankets on it and keep it out of the sun.

You bet - I'm running a temp controller. And great idea on throwing some blankets on it. It's in the garage, so I'm good to go sun-wise. Appreciate the feedback!

I also had kegs in the freezer while I made mine. It wasn't too much of a problem because I only had the lid off for an hour or two. I simply made sure that I had everything set before I removed the lid.

For only a few days I would not bother buying or making a temporary cover. I have cold crashed in a freezer that the lid would not shut due to keg height, and I simply put a few blankets / sleeping bag over the top. Probably not supre efficient...but for a couple days it sure is easy.

Back