Re-culturing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deviousalex

Reaction score
I'm interested in using a yeast starter to re-culture yeast from commercially available beers. From what I've heard the process is simple as making a starter then dumping some of the beer in. The catch is hear is that some breweries change their carbonation yeast in order to prevent people from stealing their "trade secret".
Does anyone know how many breweries do this and if there is a list of beers to avoid?

Thanks, one question though. What exactly does "bottle conditioned" refer to? A yeast that is good for specifically bottling?

Nvm, found it! =)
"Bottle conditioned
The label says the beer is bottle conditioned, and thus it has live yeast (unless the label is lying...). Note that the yeast may or may not be the primary strain. "

i was just wondering the same thing because in canada i cant even get access to wyeast or whitelabs yet.

for a nice wheat yeast, could i use a bottle of hefeweisse and culture a worthwhile yeast from that?

Back