Lager starter...which temp to pitch starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I will be brewing a Vienna Lager next week and will start making a starter tomorrow. Once I am done making the starter and cooling it down in the fridge, do I pitch the yeast at fridge temps(35-40F) into the 50F wort or do I raise the temp of the starter up to room temp and then pitch? Seems to me that I should pitch it cold, but not sure how cold.

pitch your yeast cold. straight from the fridge to the fermenter. the yeast will love the warm and get to work.

I always let mine warm to a few degrees below pitching temp, 3 or 4 to be exact.:D I wouldn't recommend a 15 to 20 degree jump. But hey what do I know?

I always let mine warm to a few degrees below pitching temp, 3 or 4 to be exact.:D

that will work to. basically you don't want to pitch warm yeast into cold wart. they freak out and don't work till they adapt to the low temps.

think about it, how do you feel when you jump into a COLD pool. but once your in there for a while the water doesn't seem so cold.

Back