Brewstand: Research, then Build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethful

Reaction score
Right now, I am researching process of my Brewstand build and thought I would come here to get some info. Most of this is still that I haven't found via search (yea, I typically use that function of the forum first)....

anyway. To throw out the original idea for the build out-- I'll eventually get it to Sketchup or something like it.

[as I am writing this, I realize that it is somewhat confusing]

It is going to pretty much be a single tier system, spread across three different stands. Each stand will be slightly smaller than the next, so they can nest together and save me some space in the garage. The largest stand will house the, Lauter Tun, brackets for easy dumbing, and the pump. ((I'm only going with a one pump system that has QD's for easy switching of the input/output.

think this:

everythingfurniture_2069_67669317

So far, I've got my three kegs that have already had their tops cut off... waiting for some extra income before purchasing the bulkheads and quick disconnects and whatnot...

The frame will be made out of L bracket bed frames (when I can find/acquire them).

Each stand will be plumbed with solid piping that leads to the burner, then there will be flexible tubing connecting each of the stands.

-------------------------------------------------

Question one for you kind people that have read this far: how much space do I need between the burner and keg?

If you decide to just buy steel angle instead of the bead rails, it is as cheap as you can get it now. Steel prices are in the basement. I'm doing a 3 teir build now out of 1 1/2" x 1/8" angle and it all cost me $70. MIne doesn't go together, but I think this is an awesome idea for those limitd with space.

"IF" you do use 1 1/2" angle iron then the largest frame will need to be 6" bigger then the smallest. This doesn't account for some slop to make things go together nicely. So, 2 of the 3 will need keegle supports. No biggie just thoughts. The weldor will need to make sure his work is square. He should anyway but.....

If your gonna run a single pump, you'll need to do batch sparges or lift the kettle when it is full. What were you thinking? "If" you lift the kettle then you can do away with one of the tiers/stands.

If you built a flash boiler then you can have one stand and a cooler and a kettle. Instantly heat your strike water and instantly heat your sparge water to run into the kettle. Then remove the mash tun and place the kettle on there and light the fire.

Latest posts

Back