BBS Smoked Wheat Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedBrewer

Reaction score
Hiya all, started my second brew tonight (Brooklyn Brew Shop Smoked wheat). Was pretty straight forward. I did thier everyday IPA as my first kit and enjoyed it a lot. Any one else try the smoked wheat?

Racked to 2nd fermenter 2 days ago,fermentation very slow at this point (total of 10 days since brew day). Will continue 2nd fermentation for at least 5 more days then bottle. Has a nice dark brown color, no transparency through 1gal fermenting jug.

Sounds yummy to me. Keep it going and some pics would be appreciated. Ferment/beer pron is always welcome!

I will post some pics in the morning;) I have been looking around for a smoke beer 1gal recipe to try as my 3rd brew. This smoker wheat calls for maple syrup as bottle priming sugar...I can't wait to try finished product!

The Smoked Wheat is on the left. The right is a SMASH I brewed few nights ago (2row american pale malt+cascade hops+english ale yeast).

Beer1.jpg

2 weeks since brewing the Smoked Wheat kit and 1 weeks since racked in secondary, still fermenting slowly so ill leave it another week then bottle.

I bottled he smoked wheat with maple syrup,2 tablespoons instead of 3and tried one today after only a week. It was great! Very smooth,Smokey aftertaste. Not sure what I'll make next.

Smoked wheat kit after 5 weeks in bottle. It was really smooth, just a hint of smoke, not too hoppy,little caramel flavor,bottled with maple syrup. Overall very tasty and would defiantly brew this kit again.

ForumRunner_20130502_202628.jpg

thanks guys, was able to derive some ingredients "smoked malt and german wheat and S. Golding hops... " I have no clue what yeast they use.

saintbodhisatva said:
thanks guys, was able to derive some ingredients "smoked malt and german wheat and S. Golding hops... " I have no clue what yeast they use.

How did you determine the amount and ratio of wheat and smoked malts? Definitely interested in trying a smoked brew, so I thought a 1 gallon batch would be a great test.

As far as yeast, stay safe with something bland - don't let the yeast add anything. Wlp001 or Wyeast 1056 for example wouldn't really add much flavor at all. If you decided you wanted a cloudier and yeastier beer, switch to a wheat beer yeast. I'm pretty dumb, so I don't know the numbers. I just trust the name (eg Wyeast xxx - American wheat ale - if it says wheat, it *must* be good for a wheat beer).

I bottled he smoked wheat with maple syrup,2 tablespoons instead of 3and tried one today after only a week. It was great! Very smooth,Smokey aftertaste. Not sure what I'll make next.

Hi - was there any particular for the 2 tablespoons instead of 3?

Do you know how to clone this recipe, not using BBS's kit?

Any luck with this, yet?

Back