Octoberfest brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrbetz

Reaction score
I was screwing around with my Mr beer kit while my 5 gal batch of irish stout is fermenting, and I just experimented with the Octoberfest hme, the robust lme and a pack of booster. I know it probably won't turn out to well but my question is what temperature do I ferment at? I've never done one so I was looking for some advice from the experienced folks here!

Oktoberfest is a lager style. Do you have a lager yeast? If so, Primary at 50 degrees for 2-3 weeks. Then, just above freezing for another 3-4 weeks.

I was burning up the stuff that came with the Mr beer, so I used the yeast under the lid... What would be a good temp for that stuff? "granite its not the best"

I was burning up the stuff that came with the Mr beer, so I used the yeast under the lid... What would be a good temp for that stuff? "granite its not the best"

I'm not familiar with Mr. Beer kits, sorry. Someone else chime in please! :mug:

I'm guessing still treat it like a lager? Ferment for 2 weeks then bottles for 3 at lower temps?

How should the temperature be for bottles? Keep it at my usual bottle temps?

If you ferment an "Oktoberfest" recipe with ale yeast at ale temperatures you wont have an Oktoberfest. You will have a low hopped amber ale, with some slight malty sweetness. It will be beer and probably drinkable, but it wont be the clean, light finishing lager that is typical of the style.

Back