Special Bitter: First BIAB -- How'd I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have so far been an extract brewer, slowly acquiring the gear for making the jump to AG via Brew-in-a-Bag. We did our first batch last nite, and I think it turned out pretty well, but not without a few hiccups.

Here's the recipe:

8# Maris Otter
5oz Crystal 120
3oz Crystal 90
4 oz Special Roast

1oz EKG; 0.5oz Fuggle (60)
0.5oz EKG (20)
0.5oz EKG (1)

WLP023

For the process:

I have a 15 gallon kettle; brought 8 gallons of water to 160F strike temp, hoping to mash at 152F for 60 min. Got a phone call and walked away from it for a bit too long and let the temp drop to about 145F, raised it up for the final 15 minutes, plus a little extra, at 152F. Mashed out at 170F for 10min. Squeezed the grains, and proceeded with the boil.

I hit my target OG and calculated that I got about 73% efficiency, which was I was pleasantly surprised with. I wonder though how the fluctuations in mash temp will affect my beer.

It smelled great in the boil, and I can't wait to drink it. Mostly just wanted to share the excitement of finally making it to all grain, and thank everybody on here for the wealth of knowledge. We've got a great community here!:mug:

Congrats!

One method I use to maintain temp is by making a cover out of reflectix for my kettle. I used the 2' stuff and made it about 3 layers thick. On my irish red the other day I mashed in at 153, and it held and only dropped to about 150 over 60 minutes. Good enough for me.

You're wort may be more fermentable and have a bit thinner body but it will still be good beer.

BIAB works much like everything else in this hobby. Relax, don't worry...

I wrap my kettle with a moving blanket. I maintain heat pretty well this way. Others use sleeping bags. Or just monitor and re-heat like you did. No big.

I wrap my kettle with a moving blanket. I maintain heat pretty well this way. Others use sleeping bags. Or just monitor and re-heat like you did. No big.

That's a great idea -- I've got an old sleeping bag that I knew I was hanging onto for some reason! Thanks!

I'd use blankets but the dog loves laying on them - never was a fan of wrapping my kettle with a dog hair filled blanket. Weird enough the dog doesn't like laying on reflectix! lol

Looking forward to how this one turns out. Be sure to post up when ya sample it!

Back