Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryb127

Reaction score
Hey guys
I bottled a wine kit last week and at the time wine looked good. I checked today and every bottle has alot of sediment at the bottom. It's a Pinot kit from wine selection or something. I followed the instructions, it's the second one that I've made. Should I pour all the bottles back into the carboy and let it set for a couple weeks? Thanks in advance (noob)

If it is enough to bother you then you could always rack them into different bottles with a siphon tube....

How did you bottle them?

I know it is normal for a lot of beers, and honestly it shouldn't be a big deal. It will all settle at some point, just take care not to pour the last little bit. Like i said if it is really bugging you let it settle then rack into new bottles.

Well also keep in mind that if it looked good and clear when you bottled it and THEN developed a significant amount of sediment then the yeast may be reproducing in there. Beware of the potential for bottle bombs, and or bottle rockets if the cork shoots out while it's sideways in a rack.

Im gonna pour them all back into the carboy and let it sit for a couple days then rack and bottle. I don't want any bottles exploding.

Pouring them back in could give you a bigger issue... Oxidation...

In the mead I stabilized and then bottled back in early summer, the bottles have some sediment in them. More than I would like, but not more than I can live with. Since I stabilized those batches, I'm pretty sure nothing's going to pop.

How long was your batch going before you bottled it? How long from when you racked to the second vessel until you bottled them up?

Next time you might want to try what I did (if you can)... I racked a batch onto some oak cubes, for about 5-6 weeks. I then racked into a keg, and put it into my brew fridge for a couple of weeks. I then bottled directly from keg (a few PSI of CO2 on the gas post, bottle wand and tubing connected to the liquid side/QD). So far, zero sediment in the bottles. There was some in the bottom of the keg that the mead was in. You could do this with a carboy too, if you have room in your fridge.

BTW, my batch of mead was almost a year old when it went into the fridge.

Well, I had it in the primary for around 7 days then racked to secondary for about 6 weeks then racked again for 2 days, degrassed and cleared it, sat for another 7 days then racked again and bottled with a siphon and bottle filler.
Its been bottled for 4 days. The sediment is very noticeable. I'm gonna try to attach a pic.

image-1571256903.jpg

The bottle is on its side and there's small bits floating and there's a big glob of it? I just noticed that. WTF!? I really dont Want to waste this.Thanks for your help!

No. I think it was chitisan(spelling?). It was a clearing agent that came with kit. I'm wondering if I didn't let it sit long enough after adding?

Did you filter it any? I run mine through a filter about two days before bottling then filter again the day I bottle it. I still some times have a little sediment but not that much.

I never use finings in my wine and have never had that much sediment. I usually let mine set for 6-12 months in secondary though. Is that big lumpy thing on the left the sediment or just the dots along what is the side of the bottle that are the sediment?

Both are sediment, that's why I'm worried. I think I might pour all the bottles back into the primary bucket to minimize oxidation, then rack back to carboy for a month or so. Any thoughts?

I just got done pouring the bottles into a primary bucket then racked to a carboy and topped off with a store bought wine. I added 3!more of Campden tablets. There was a lot of sediment left in the primary that I poured into. I'll update in a few weeks.

Let it sit for about a week maybe 2. I highly suggest running it through a filter or some cheese cloth folded to 3 or 4 ply. Before bottling again.

Let it sit for about a week maybe 2. I highly suggest running it through a filter or some cheese cloth folded to 3 or 4 ply. Before bottling again.

Curious on this: If you can filter by running through cheese cloth, would using a coffee filter accomplish the same with smaller particles? Just curious if anyone has tried that the way that you are describing.

Hey Steve, I went ahead and poured the left wine that was left in the bottom of the bottles through a non-bleached coffee filter. It tastes ok, still very young but the filter caught alot of the sediment.

image-1906257876.jpg

The 1st pic is the filter with the stuff at the bottom after the wine drained through.

image-2808508054.jpg

2nd is the filtered wine. Pretty clear compared to what was in the bottle.

Filter again before you bottle it again an you should have little to no sediment in your bottles.

No. I think it was chitisan(spelling?). It was a clearing agent that came with kit. I'm wondering if I didn't let it sit long enough after adding?

for next time:

Did you do the stirring after adding the various finings? If you don't mix it properly you are going to have blobs and it isn't going to work properly.

samc said:
for next time:

Did you do the stirring after adding the various finings? If you don't mix it properly you are going to have blobs and it isn't going to work properly.

I mixed it pretty well. I used a wine whip. Is there anything else I can do at this point? Should I try to add another clearing agent or just let it sit for a week or so?

Back