The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH, I almost forgot about this one:

Long time mentor and friend: It's been a while, you should come for a visit.
Me: Can do. And I can bring some home brewed stout, too. Trust me it tastes better.
Him: Is it safe to drink?

wow for a bunch of homebrewers the patience for conversation, and ability to take criticism has really taken a blow.

I will unsubscribe myself

Many pro brewers can find a smarter way then spending their time bickering over hopping schedules and the definition of stout. ;););)

Just a hint, if a few people in the same day find you disagreeable then perhaps it's not the other people who have the problem today.

Every freaking time I hand a bottle of a new batch to my dad (probably employs 3 people at Labatt), he takes a swig and says "yep, tastes like beer".

Hop bomb, stout & everything in between, same response.

Every freaking time I hand a bottle of a new batch to my dad (probably employs 3 people at Labatt), he takes a swig and says "yep, tastes like beer".

Hop bomb, stout & everything in between, same response.

lol you should put some dog **** and water in a bottle and hand it to him, wonder if he will say the same thing :drunk:

Took a weizenbier and an oatmeal stout (both brewers best extracts, nothing fancy) to my parent's house for dinner last week. Since my parents aren't big beer drinkers, i only brought one of each, ultimately for SWMBO and myself to drink with dinner, but to let them have a taste...
Dad on weizenbeir: Wow - tastes like what you can buy in the store. (More impressed with the fact that I made it than how it actually tasted)
Dad on stout: It looks like motor oil, but it's actually really good. I like it more than the other one
Mom on both: (with a bitter beer face) Yup. Tastes like beer.

So sad I'm through this thread already.

Shortly after building my kegerator one of my buddys says:
Man that's sick! How are you going to get 3 different beers in there though without them mixing together?

He thought you just filled it up like a big tub.

So sad I'm through this thread already.

Shortly after building my kegerator one of my buddy's says:
Man that's sick! How are you going to get 3 different beers in there though without them mixing together?

He thought you just filled it up like a big tub.

HA! Awesome first post :mug:

On Saturday I was at a friend's house (they're confirmed Busch drinkers, so I bring a six pack of that for them and a 12 pack of something good for the wife and I). I was wearing a Heretic brewery shirt and had brought a bottle of Double Bastard.

They had another couple over, and the husband said he hated Busch. I told him we might get along. He then said he hates those "Lay-gers." (lagers). I told him I like ales as well as lagers, to which he made a disgusted face and said they were too strong for him, too sweet (I think he meant malty). At this point I was at a loss. He doesn't like Lagers, and he doesn't like Ales... does he only drink lambics? So I asked him what he does like.

His response: "Budweiser."

*facepalm*

I tried explaining that that was a lager, but he didn't believe me.

...So I asked him what he does like.

His response: "Budweiser."

*facepalm*

I tried explaining that that was a lager, but he didn't believe me.

Doesn't Bud have on the label that it is a lager (This is a question as I have never had one as I live in NZ), if so show him that next time and see how he tries to explain that away ;)

Got a new one for me today (not sure if it was somewhere else in here):

Gave a little sampler pack of what I've got on tap to an employee and his report on it was:
"I was really surprised. I expected it to have a weird off flavor like waterbed water"
After I responded with a confused WTF face...
"I've had a few home brewed beers before and it always has this weird flavor to it like waterbed water. I only agreed to take some because you're my boss but it was really good! Why didn't it taste like waterbed water?"
Me-"You've got me man, I haven't gone drinking from enough waterbeds to even know what that means..."

For the record, any ideas what the waterbed flavor his other homebrew suppliers might be getting in their brews?

BlueZooBrewing said:

Gave a little sampler pack of what I've got on tap to an employee and his report on it was:
"I was really surprised. I expected it to have a weird off flavor like waterbed water"
"I've had a few home brewed beers before and it always has this weird flavor to it like waterbed water. I only agreed to take some because you're my boss but it was really good! Why didn't it taste like waterbed water?"
Me-"You've got me man, I haven't gone drinking from enough waterbeds to even know what that means..."

For the record, any ideas what the waterbed flavor his other homebrew suppliers might be getting in their brews?

Maybe they are topping off with an outside water hose(that plastic taste).

Doesn't Bud have on the label that it is a lager (This is a question as I have never had one as I live in NZ), if so show him that next time and see how he tries to explain that away ;)

i've had people get genuinely mad at me for claiming that bud is made with rice. It's on the the label! how can you pound down hundreds of them and not once glance at the label?

I guess I am just lucky. I have two sets of drinking buddies. One being some guys I work with. Intelligent guys. Diesel mechanics. Some of them down BMC to get drunk but also enjoy good beer. Having never home brewed most of them know something about the process. At least yeast + sugar = alcohol.

The other group is BILs friends. They rolled into his cookout the other weekend with Sam Adams, New Belgium, Stella Artois, etc, and some of them drank my homebrew. A typical comment was "that's pretty good. "

My wife is the one exception. She has a wicked strong sense of smell. She can sniff out an IPA. Somehow she can actually smell bitter. She pulls some odd descriptors out when smelling any beer.

I've got a BMC friend who thinks every beer I make tasts like Guinness ?!?!? My only thought is that he has never actually tried Guinness.

Another friend of mine who claims to hate all beer says "This is really good" about every beer I have ever gave him. Really man, you hate all beer? maybe its just that you can taste and know that BMC Sux! :D

i've had people get genuinely mad at me for claiming that bud is made with rice. It's on the the label! how can you pound down hundreds of them and not once glance at the label?

Some people just don't know much about what they're imbibing, period. I got in an argument with someone who works at a bar because we were talking about homebrewing and kegging and he didn't believe me that you could use CO2 for force-carbonation.

"Nah, that stuff just pushes the beer out of the keg"

It was a friendly argument but even after I explained how it worked he still didn't believe me. Oh well...

Not really as funny as some of the other posts, but someone once tried my pale ale and said...."hmmm interesting...its almost sort of...bitter".

I just responded with "yeah, its beer". I assume they only drink keystone and natty.

Hahaha this is hilarious.

I'm guessing that he likened the smell of waterbed water to the taste of the beers. Not that he actually drank waterbed water. I have smelled waterbed water and it does have an odd smell to it, but it has been a long time since I had a waterbed, so I'm not quite sure how to explain it. In waterbeds, you do have to use a sanitizer in the water to keep it from getting mildew. Maybe the homebrews he had tasted like sanitizer?

I was thinking "waterbed flavor"=sanitizer as well.

But having just discovered that inadequately rinsed bottles sanitized with C-Brite ruined my 2nd batch, so off-flavors from sanitizers are particularly at the forefront of my mind right now. Damn chlorophenols! :(

For our bowling league, SWMBO and I order a pitcher of beer to share while playing. For each pitcher you get a card; get five cards, free pitcher of beer.

I gave my five cards to the bartender, and asked him if I could get any beer.

He said, "Yes, any domestic."
I asked, "Is Sam Adams considered domestic?"
He replied, "Yeah.... if we were in Boston."
I then asked, "Well, we aren't in Colorado, but I suppose you'll give me f**king Coors Light."

He stared at me for a few seconds...

Then I just said, "Gimme the f**king Coors."

I drank my free Coors.

so live in MN, the location of breweries such as schells, Summit (which is a fairly large production brewery), Surly, Flat earth, etc.

me: any specials tonight?
waitress: $2 domestic pints until 10
me: cool ill have a summit pale
waitress: sorry summit isnt included
me:but summit is brewed less than 20 miles from here, you said "domestic beers"
waitress: sorry, only (lists off some BMC garbage)
me:ill just pay full price then.
waitress: you dont want an MGD?
me : NO.

At the bar at Texas Roadhouse.

Me, "You know what you go great with this steak.... a good dark ale. What have got?"
The bartender, "Sorry we don't serve ale. But we have some dark beers."

Me, "You know what you go great with this steak.... a good dark ale. What have got?"

That'd be like going to a car dealer and having this conversation:

"I'm looking for a blue sedan."
Dealer: "We don't sell sedans, but we have some blue cars."

TotemWolf said:

In Texas beer drink you!

Seriously though, in Texas beer is an alcoholic malt beverage under 4% ABW, ale (or malt liquor) is malt beverage above 4% ABW.

nefarious_1_ said:
"Wow, that stuff was pretty strong! Think you could make a super strong one that gets you completely wrecked?"

Me: dying inside.

Yes I can. But, it's gonna be pretty rough and you have to drink it.

I live in southern GA right now so this is how 95% of my beer conversations go

Me: here bro check this out I brewed beer its a great hobby and a lot of fun
them: how much does it cost?
me: like 25 to 40 for 5 gals
them: god dang thats cheap let me try that sumbitch........this taste like that sam adams ****
me: (i want you to die)

but, the best comment for me to date came from my father in law that only drinks BMC and thinks Landshark is premium brew

Father-in-law after trying a sip of maybe 3 brews: "when are you going to make something good?"

I punched my wife in the face for that statement

I brewed up a bad-ass Clementine Hefe and my wife's friend was like...."MMMM...I love this Marzen".

Oh well, at least my wife doesn't have friends that think my beer is a F#$$#@ing Mikes Hard Lemonade and actually know what a Marzen is.

Dude...it's not their fault....and you know what...I think BMC gets a bad rap a lot of the time...but honestly, they have their time and place, and you have to admire their ability to turn out a consistent beer.

And on top of that...people buy it....and it IS a business, so with that said, they are doing the right thing.

Craft beer is another dimension, where a more artistic view is put on creating truly remarkable beer. We simply cannot compare the two sides. We each have positives and negatives....can't we all just get along.

nefarious_1_ said:
"Wow, that stuff was pretty strong! Think you could make a super strong one that gets you completely wrecked?"

Me: dying inside.

Ugh, just like when I said I wanted to rebrew my Saison to get it closer to 5% instead of 8%, my friends went "...why?"

Ugh, just like when I said I wanted to rebrew my Saison to get it closer to 5% instead of 8%, my friends went "...why?"

I think the logic of these people is understandable though, if they wanted to enjoy the complex flavours of a range of beer styles then why do they drink exclusively bud or whatever? These are people who are drinking BECAUSE of the alcohol content where for us beer lovers the alcohol is a great bonus but I'd still drink beer if it didn't give me a buzz since I enjoy the taste a lot more than soda or whatever else I could drink. I've enjoyed a couple tonight infact :mug:

Anyway back to the topic, I gave my brother a taste of the lager I made him for his 21st once it had finished lagering before carbing.

ME: Try this, its your birthday beer, its not carbed yet obviously
HIM: Um, its a bit syrupy..
ME: Yeah... that's probably because it's flat
HIM: Oh yeah

It's his birthday this weekend so I hope the beer turns out well for him, my 13 year old sister has already said she will have it if he doesn't like it and she's as hard to please as he is :tank:

I was at football tailgate. I brought yuengling. Everyone else drinking some BMC. We started playing a drinking game. Me with the yuengling. This girl looks at me and says "I can't believe you are playing this game. With a lager. I look at her bud light and say "your playing with a lager too."

Another fun conversation with a coworker. I brought him a few bottles of homebrew.

Me: Here ya go. It's some IPA.
Coworker: what's an IPA?
Me: it's a beer with a lot of hops.
Coworker: oh like miller lite, they triple hop brew. I don't know if I'll like it because the hops are too sweet.
Me: okay allow me to explain to you what you just said....

Back