Ebay Score!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
I won an auction on what I thought was 10 NIB Miljoco thermometers. 2" dial, 2.5" stems, and 1/4" NPT (perfect for the couplers on my kegs). The dial's a little small for my needs, but the price was right. I thought I snagged all 10 for $25! Then, I found out it was a multiple item auction and I was really bidding on one thermometer. I was kinda bummed and bought the thing anyway so they wouldn't slander me on Ebay. I got a package today and look what it contained:

DSC02693.jpg

Here's one up close:

DSC02696.jpg

DSC02695.jpg

10 therms for $25! I tested them and they seem to be pretty accurate. One downside is that a few of them I think lost their seal and have some condensation/buildup on the inside...but it's only 3 or so. Also, the lenses are polycarbonate. I plan on putting them high on the kegs; if they melt I guess I'm not out much! All in all, I think they'll work!

I don't think he is seriously planning on selling them, I was just kidding around.

Maybe later. I'm in the process of building a rig, so I definitely have a need for them. I still can't figure out what the deal is with the cloudy lenses. Some look as if there were condensate behind the lens which eventually grew bacteria....and the lens on some of them is just plain cloudy with a white film....as if someone left oxyclean on it too long.

About 6 of them are perfect cosmetically and operationally...so I'll start from there. I'm still wondering how they'll hold up to a brew day ;).

Once I get my rig set up and keep a backup or two, I may sell the remainder....or trade for some homebrew. I'll let you know.

Considering they are coil driven mechanical calibrated devices, can you remove the plastic lens? You could easliy get rid of the condensation and gunk, possibly replace with glass and seal with silicon while you're at it... Might be worth the work :)

I kinda eyeballed it and it looks like the bezel is riveted on. It's supposed to be "hermetically sealed"...but that's obviously not accurate.

I kinda eyeballed it and it looks like the bezel is riveted on. It's supposed to be "hermetically sealed"...but that's obviously not accurate.

Don;t be knocking the labor quality of those thermometer sealing hermits. Hermits are hard to come by these days with all the hermit unions and such.

Just to be sure, you are planning to fit these to couplers right? I ask because you may have a reading issue caused by miss matched threads if you use these in a thermowell. Thermowells are typically straight threaded and the taper of the threads on those temp-o-meters won't allow them to seat fully thus causing reading inconsistencies.

Back