Chinook Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
I am bittering a recipe with .50 oz of Chinook in an Amber Ale. Instead of sticking it in the fridge and trying to find something to do with it, I thought about dry hopping the Amber with it. Has anyone dry hopped with Chinook before? Is a highly hopped Amber a good fit for it?

Thanks,

Hop Schedule:

1.0 oz Cascade FWH
1.0 oz Willamette FWH
.50 oz Chinook @ 60mins
Dry hop w/ 1.0 oz of Cascade and possibly Chinook

Chinook is one of my favorite hops for bittering and flavor/aroma. my experience with dry hopped chinook beers is that when the beer is young they lend a piney flavor and aroma that is very nice, as the beer ages the piney character fades and it becomes more woody/herbal or even smokey but thats after a year or more.

I did the Northern Brewer Chinook IPA kit- which you dry hop with (duh) Chinook It was great. Had a wide variety of tasters at a birthday party (not all big beer people) and they all really liked it. It was about 8 weeks old when we had it, wish i could say more about age but it was all gone after that!

had a great experience with Chinook Cones dry hopping my HMF-IPA.
my suggestion:
absof--kinglutely!!!
if you want earthly/floral notes, yep yep yeppers!

Are there any hop combination's that pair well with the Chinook hop? I also did the Chinook IPA kit but I'd like to add another hop variety or two to the dry hop. I can't really seem to find any resources online that list how hops interact with each other on flavor and aroma.

Are there any hop combination's that pair well with the Chinook hop? I also did the Chinook IPA kit but I'd like to add another hop variety or two to the dry hop. I can't really seem to find any resources online that list how hops interact with each other on flavor and aroma.

One of my favorite dryhop combinations is chinook, simcoe and cascade. That is awesome together!

That is one combination I've been considering. I have Citra at my disposal as well, I'm considering doing 1oz Chinook, 1 oz Citra, and 1 oz Cascade for the dry-hopping.

That is one combination I've been considering. I have Citra at my disposal as well, I'm considering doing 1oz Chinook, 1 oz Citra, and 1 oz Cascade for the dry-hopping.

So did you ever do a Citra/Chinook dryhop? I was prepping dry hops for a Pliny clone recipe and found out I am low on Simcoe. I went to buy some and they're out. So I threw some Chinook in there and was considering some Citra. I know they're not replacements for Simcoe but I figured what the hell why not play around since I don't have the right stuff.

Dry hopped with chinook leaves, beers still aging but the aroma is great and it tasted good uncarbed and a little young.

Chinook's great for dry hops. Used recently in combos, including Crystal-Amarillo-Chinook in a CDA and Citra-Amarillo-Chinook in an APA. Both came out awesome with a very pleasant hoppiness.

im going to try a chinook-citra-amarillo combo(1oz each for 5g) dry hop in a black IPA Ive been meaning to brew.

Any of the C hops really compliment each other for dry hops. Chinook, centennial, and citra is my Fav blend for a ipa.

We added 1/2 ounce of Chinook to a Cooper's IPA. Turned out incredible, but I'm not sure we added it correctly. We just dumped it in while it fermented. The beer came out excellent and the Chinook really kicked it up a notch.

I know Sierra Nevada and Arrogant Bastard both use it.

How about chinook, simcoe, and amarillo?

I don't see why not. Should work great. I did an IPA with Simcoe and Amarillo in the lead and a bit of Nelson Sauvin and it worked out fantastic. It'll work with Chinook as well.

im going to try a chinook-citra-amarillo combo(1oz each for 5g) dry hop in a black IPA Ive been meaning to brew.

Used that combo in an APA and it was great. In the boil and dry hops in the same proportions. Tasty as hell.

Any of the C hops really compliment each other for dry hops. Chinook, centennial, and citra is my Fav blend for a ipa.

Even more than just the C hops. C hops, sure: Columbus, Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, Crystal, Citra. But also other hops that have that American edge to them, even Nelson Sauvin from NZ and other American hops like Amarillo, Simcoe (as mentioned above), Mt Hood etc etc. I'd say it's a benefit to try a hop on its own first to see what its character is. Anyway, there are tons of hops that work good in combination with American hops.

Chinook seems to be a love it or hate it dry hop addiction. I enjoy it as a dh, but I'll use 1 oz Chinook, and 3-4 oz of a mix of citra, Amarillo, and simcoe.

I am doing an American Pale Ale with this combo right now...dry hopping with Amarillo and Simcoe for sure, wondering if I should also dry hop with the Chinook.

Any thoughts?

It would work with or without, IMHO. It's a nice dry hop and it would go well with the others, but Amarillo and Simcoe on their own are also lovely.

I would use a softer hand with an APA myself, 1-1.5 oz total, say .5 oz of each, but then I don't like my APAs like my IPAs.

Would Columbus and Chinook go well together for a dry hop or will that be piney overload? The hops for the boil are Chinook at 60 for bittering, and a TBD schedule of Cascade for aroma. Thinking of maybe switching one of either the Columbus or Chinook dry hop for an oz of Centennial dry hop.

I am doing an American Pale Ale with this combo right now...dry hopping with Amarillo and Simcoe for sure, wondering if I should also dry hop with the Chinook.

Any thoughts?

I went ahead and dry hopped with the Chinook, Simcoe, and Amarillo...this beer came out absolutely amazing. Nice citrusy fruit nose, not too strong tho, with a perfect slightly bitter pale ale finish. Thanks for the yalls input! I'll definitely brew this again.

Resurrected!

How about Magnum, Centennial, and Chinook? Nuts yes or no?

Something like:
.75oz Magnum 14% 60mins 32 IBU

1oz Centennial 10% 15mins 15 IBU
.75oz Magnum 14% 15mins 16 IBU

.5oz Centennial 14% Flameout
.5oz Chinook 13% Flameout

1oz Centennial 14% Dry hop 7 days.
.5oz each Chinook and Magnum Dry hop 7 days.

I'm a fan of SN Torpedo IPA and they uses it at mid boil, at 5 minutes, and as a dry hop. Switch the 15 minute to Chinook and put the Magnum at flame out?

I like Torpedo as well, but I've had some homebrews with Magnum, including on SMaSH, that revealed a character in Magnum that I'm not fond of. These were using German Magnum, mind you.

Just brewed a black rye IPA with Chinook and Columbus and tasted it as it went into secondary. Very bitter, which I like, but those puppies are some forces to be reckoned with. I was going for a high IBU brew with heavy pine notes, and after tasting, would probably shift more Columbus to the 60 min side and more Chinook to the 5min-flameout side. Going to let it sit for a month in secondary before adding 1.5-2.5oz Chinook and .5 oz Columbus. I've got a month to research more on the techniques of dry hopping.

I made a harvest ale, which is fermenting right now. It's 1st year crop for these. I'd like to dry hop this pale ale with homegrown chinook and I am open for suggestion. The chinook smells great, but I've never had the best of luck dry hopping with whole leaf hops. How much would chinook would you use for the dryhop? How would you do it? Dump them in or contain them and weigh them down?

6 gallon batch...

10 lbs 14 oz two row
13.1 oz caramel 60

.81 oz Chinook 60
.54 oz Centennial 20
2.16 oz Cascade 2 minutes

Need DH addition? Chinook?

I dryhop with my homegrown hops all the time! I don't use a bag, but you certainly can if you want.

I love chinook as a dryhop, so I"d probably go with 2 ounces for 5 days for the biggest freshest chinook aroma.

If you just throw them in, careful racking would be needed to avoid sucking them up. They stay together pretty well, though, and most float but some fall down through the beer.

Here are some photos on what that looks like:
DSCN0249.jpg

DSCF5840.jpg

DSCF5839.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1151.jpg
    DSCN1151.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 943
  • DSCF5914.jpg
    DSCF5914.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 918
So maybe I screwed this up. I've always talked about running whole hops through a salad shooter...jokingly. Instead, I broke ever hole hop cone in half, dropped 1.75 oz of whole chinook in my pale ale for 5 days. The chinook smelled fantastic in its hop cone form. The pale ale tasted fantastic prior to my dry-hopping. Now I get a very strange taste. It's hard to describe. It's almost like someone used cleaning products on a pile of sawdust, then swept it in a corner, picked it up, then put it in my mouth. Not a horrible beer, just weird. Any negatives to ripping up the hops vs dumping in whole? Next time i might use a half oz and combine with another half oz of simcoe for that piney, citrusy taste.

Just brewed a black rye IPA with Chinook and Columbus and tasted it as it went into secondary. Very bitter, which I like, but those puppies are some forces to be reckoned with. I was going for a high IBU brew with heavy pine notes, and after tasting, would probably shift more Columbus to the 60 min side and more Chinook to the 5min-flameout side. Going to let it sit for a month in secondary before adding 1.5-2.5oz Chinook and .5 oz Columbus. I've got a month to research more on the techniques of dry hopping.

Thanks for posting this. I'm brewing a chinook columbus IPA today and wanted to know what to expect in terms of flavor profile. I was going to do 1 oz columbus @60 1 oz columbus @ 45 1 oz chinook @15 1 oz chinook @5, dry hop with 1 oz of each for 7 days.

I hope it comes out ok.

Thanks for posting this. I'm brewing a chinook columbus IPA today and wanted to know what to expect in terms of flavor profile. I was going to do 1 oz columbus @60 1 oz columbus @ 45 1 oz chinook @15 1 oz chinook @5, dry hop with 1 oz of each for 7 days.

I hope it comes out ok.

Any idea how this turned out?

Last time I dry hopped with Columbus it was straight onion.

Just brewed a chinook-columbus pale ale today. 2 oz chinook plus 1 oz columbus split at 5 and 0. Depending on how the gravity sample tastes, I may also DH with 1 oz chinook plus 0.5 oz columbus.

Latest posts

Back