S-05 or Nottingham for Blond?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkslinger82

Reaction score
Well, making my first batch of the season today..ready to get the keg going for football season. I figured I would make a nice easy-drinking blond to start. I have a few yeasts..S-04, S-05, and Nottingham. I was debating which yeast would give me the best results with a blond. Any opinions?

You can't really go wrong here, but the S-05 is a classic American yeast (the Chico strain, same as Wyeast 1056) maybe a little more in line for the style. Nottingham is extremely clean as well, and would make a nice beer for you. Personally I tend to go S-05 for American styles.

I'll go against the grain here and say US-04.

I used US-04 in a cream ale which is in my glass right now and I'm lovin' it, I'd use it for a blonde too because I like the hint of fruitiness (I fermented at 64). A local brewery (Real Ale) supposedly uses English yeast for their Fireman's #4 Blonde Ale and it's good too.

If you want it to be clean like a lager you'll want to use the US-05.

I'll go against the grain here and say US-04.

I used US-04 in a cream ale which is in my glass right now and I'm lovin' it, I'd use it for a blonde too because I like the hint of fruitiness (I fermented at 64). A local brewery (Real Ale) supposedly uses English yeast for their Fireman's #4 Blonde Ale and it's good too.

If you want it to be clean like a lager you'll want to use the US-05.

Wait a sec...There's US-05 and S-04. Unless I'm confused I think you just threw an extra "U" in there. S-04 is the English one.

To the OP: Tough call, I'm sure either would be good. I'd say it comes down to personal preference, but I think I'd go for the US-05. I don't mean to threadjack, but I was just thinking about this earlier. I'm planning to start doing 10 gallon batches, splitting them up to two 5 gallon better bottles, and probably pitching one with S-04/notty and one with US-05 for almost every beer I do. I like variety and the side-by-side will be interesting.

I saw go with us-05...but for a better beer i would go with white labs cali ale yeast...but nottingham and US-05 is pretty much the same strain of yeast...get the one that is cheapeast i guess

I use the US-05 in my house blonde all the time, everyone loves it. I have never even bothered to try any other yeast on it.

Well,
Im gonna try the nottingham. I havent used it before so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the help!
Chris

Back