LHBS Bentonite Okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrean

Reaction score
Was wondering if I can substitute LHBS bentonite for what comes in my wine-expert kit?

I screwed mine up by adding hot water to it instead of the other way around.. ended up with a nasty clumpy mess that I ended up throwing out.

Yes, there should be no problem as long as that was what was in the kit. Bentonite is a clay base clarifier and attaches to positive charged particles in the must and then drop out. Use as directed on the container as over use will remove flavor and color.

I would only use the bentonite if it didn't clear. Any clarifier should be use only as a last resort for clearing.

thx for the replies.

so if i'm doing a wine expert kit (i've done about 4 in the past) do i even have to add the bentonite? can i add it at a later time if it doesn't clarify?

if i don't have to add it, that's the way i'd like to go..

thx

madrean said:
thx for the replies.

so if i'm doing a wine expert kit (i've done about 4 in the past) do i even have to add the bentonite? can i add it at a later time if it doesn't clarify?

if i don't have to add it, that's the way i'd like to go..

thx

No you should not unless it needs it. I don't work with kits any more but I have only really needed a clarifier once in the past 5 years. Kits will give this and add it the directions as it will decrease the clearing times and puts a nice polish on the wine. Some of my friends that do the competitions use different types of clarifiers for the polish it gives and that is one area judged. If you do need it it can be done later but it does need to sit for at least 30 days afterward to drop everything out.

Back