Rubber stopper in Primary Help Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I just made a batch of cider and added the yeast, then went to put the blow off on and my stopper fell into the carboy. What can I do????

Condoms work better than balloons, but don't use a pre-lubed one.

Seriously, if you don't have another stopper, you can just use some plastic wrap tonight & get another stopper tomorrow.

Or use seran wrap to seal the carboy and hold the airlock in place until you can get a hold of another stopper. Alternately if you have a blowoff tube that doesn't require a stopper, you could use that as an airlock.

This is a great reason to use carboy caps instead of stoppers.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/images/equipment/carboy_cap.jpg

If you get that thing to fall inside the carboy you are trying WAY to hard. :p

Thanks guys for the tips. I sanitized the bottling bucket and poured it into there and then took a piece of small rope tied some knots into it and droped it in. then inverted the carboy and the knots pulled it out. (sanitized rope first.)

I will be crossing over to carcoy caps soon.

Yeah--- what my father and I have both foudn easiest is to wash and sanitize them separately on brew day, then put the airlock on the carboy cap and drop the assembled units into a bowl of sanitizer together till they are needed.

The carboy caps go on so easily, especially when still wet from the sanitizer that attaching filled airlocks is spill free.

this happened to me on my last brew. i put foil over it tightly, then put a pillow cover over te carboy and sprayed lysol around it a few times a day. transfered it last week and it tasted great so i guess i was lucky, the cork wasnt all that hard to get out either. learned my lesson about putting the airlock in the cork first though.

i just use the carboy siphon cap for mine, i found that the seal wasn't that great on mine so i just used some zip ties to make it air tight. i plug the one side up with the cap that came with it and the middle one is where i put my air lock! worked great and theres no way to push that sucker in the carboy!!

justbrewit said:
i just use the carboy siphon cap for mine... theres no way to push that sucker in the carboy!!

That sounds like a challenge to me!

What do I win if I can get one into my carboy? :)

-walker

Back