Ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TowsonTiger22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna try making ribs wednesday. I've done it twice before, and they sucked.

Pretty sure I didn't pull the membrane off. Hoping that correcting this will yield awesomeness.

What kind of ribs you smoking? I have some spare ribs going now, The membrane does block penetration of flavor/smoke in my exp. Good Luck!

I'll probably do spares, as that's what is in the grocery most of the time round here.

I had min soaked in A&W root beer for about 8hrs and then put together a quick rub and have been in the smoker for 4 hours. Pulling them in a little while! :mug:

I do mainly BB. Rub them down the night before and vacuum seal them. Then I smoke for about 4-4.5 hrs at 230* and they come out perfect. I don't do the 2-1-1 method either.

In my experience, whether or not you remove the membrane does not effect the taste of the ribs very much. That is, if the taste sucked with the membrane, it probably will without. I remove as much of it as I can and then don't worry about it.

In my opinion, the best way to do ribs is easy. The night before, I rub the ribs with a good homemade rub. I use a basic rub recipe I found in Dr. BBQ's cookbook, although I usually end up modifying it. Really pack the rub on both sides of the rack and then cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning they smell almost good enough to eat before they ever go on the smoker.

Smoke the ribs with hickory or apple (or other fruit tree wood) at around 250F until done, usually about five hours. After the first hour, I spritz them with apple juice every half-hour or so. The ribs are done when you pick them up and the rack droops down in the shape of an upside-down "U." Sauce is optional in my opinion, so I usually serve it on the side for those who would rather taste sugary sweetness than pork and spice heaven. I know a lot of people swear by the 3-2-1 method and sauces, but this works for me.

Membrane shouldn't effect the taste much, but it certainly will effect the end texture since it will make the ribs tougher to eat (because you basically have to tear the membrane off)

My success with ribs is fairly straight forward

1. Marinade and/or dry rub in advance. Find flavors you like do you like spice?

2. Be careful with your fire, sugar burns at around 325, so you should try to keep it under 300 at all times, will give you delicious caramel tones of flavor without scorching, or if you go higher, don't put much if any sugar in it. I try t osay 270 is a good high temp with average aroudn 250.

3. If you're going to sauce, make your sauce compliment your rub. So if you have a sweet rub with almost no heat, dont' have a dry and spicy sauce. It can be amazing, but unless you're a fantastic chef you probably can't make it work (I can't)

4. Don't over cook the ribs. The meat will pull from the bone, and liek the above poster said you'll get an upside down U shape (that's something that doesn't happen easy with membrane)

And kinda like brewing, in the end you learn fgrom your mistakes. Take notes as to what you dont' like and like about it, and then change it accordingly next time.

Like some of the other posters, spritzing them every half hour or so seems to be key in retaining moisture (but don't start this until the rub has formed a bark, usually 45 min to 1 hr into the smoke). I use 3 parts apple cider vinegar to 1 part olive oil. Removing the membrane should fix that "gummy" texture. ~225F at ~1 hr per lb has always worked for me with spare ribs, and as stated earlier, using rub the night before is key. They should sit for at least 12 hours in the rub to ensure good flavor penetration. I usually rub them with mustard and then use a homemade dry rub on top of that. Taking them out of the refrigerator 30-45 mins before smoking will help keep the smoker at temperature when you add them.

What was your process the last couple times? Temps, times, rubs, foil/no foil, added moisture, etc.?

Like some of the other posters, spritzing them every half hour or so seems to be key in retaining moisture (but don't start this until the rub has formed a bark, usually 45 min to 1 hr into the smoke). I use 3 parts apple cider vinegar to 1 part olive oil. Removing the membrane should fix that "gummy" texture. ~225F at ~1 hr per lb has always worked for me with spare ribs, and as stated earlier, using rub the night before is key. They should sit for at least 12 hours in the rub to ensure good flavor penetration. I usually rub them with mustard and then use a homemade dry rub on top of that. Taking them out of the refrigerator 30-45 mins before smoking will help keep the smoker at temperature when you add them.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of basting often. I never baste my butts and I onyl sparingly baste my ribs. I like a good bark on my ribs.

I think removing that membrane is very important. It creates a barrier to getting flavors into the meat. Use a dry paper towel when you grab one end of it and it will come right off.

Now smoking is best, but there are so many ways and types. For a winter, too damn cold to keep going outside rib, use your oven. I rub a common dry rub of brown sugar, paprika (I like spanish smoked best), garlic powder, cumin, adobo seasoning, dry mustard, pepper. Stack ribs and cover with two sheets of tin foil and make a big pouch leaving one end open. Put your pouch on a cookie sheet and let sit for a few hours in the fridge. Then pre-heat to 325F. Add 2 cups of broth or apple juice or a combo, and a shot of vinegar and seal foil up. Bake for 3 hours. Drain juice. I save a little and mix with BBQ sauce. Baste ribs and throw on direct grill for a few minutes each side. Just enough to get a little char.

I just rubbed them and ran them per Virtual Weber Bullet. Got lots of good info. Didn't do them this week cause of weather. Should be good to go wednesday though.

Funny to see what type of wood people use depending on region. I always use grapefruit or orange if I can't get grapefruit wood on fish to pork to brisket.

As far as ribs-and I make 'em a lot-hard to pass on 3-2-1 system for smoking. About as idiot proof and delicious as anything I've ever used. And yes pull silver skin with paper towel. I use Emeril's with about 25% brown sugar added. I don't put sauce on till I get them to table. And I like a S. Carolina type mustard sauce.

Guy called Meathead has a site check him out good guy.

I always take out the membrane and currently I'll use my favorite rub,and then do a layer of brown sugar. Let sit in fridge for an hour or so, and then throw on the smoker for 6 hours. At the 5th hour, I would sprinkle a bit more brown sugar. They've always came out moist and delicious, without the need of a sauce.

For pig-cicles only. Wash and pat dry, light rub with olive oil. Smear on yellow mustard, yes you read that right. You won't taste it. Sprinkle on garlic, black pepper, and almost any pork rub (I make my own). When that is good and rubbed in, spread on some black-strap molasses and rub that in. I like a fair amount.
Cook high over a red oak fire for about 2.5-3 hours. You won't believe it. Be careful with the black pepper, it will really come through.

I have done about ribs 10 - 15 tines, usually 3 -5 racks at a time on a weber Smokey mountain. I have access to both a 15 and 22 inch.

I have a basic recipe for a Kansas city style rub, basically brown sugar, smoked paprika, pepper, salt, garlic and onion powder, and cayenne or chipotle pepper powder. Membrane/no membrane I haven't tasted a difference after smoking the membrane should pull right off or come off while on the smoker.

I smoke mostly with hickory since that's all I can find easily.

I keep mine at 220 225 for around 4 hours and the gently pull away from the bone.

For pig-cicles only. Wash and pat dry, light rub with olive oil. Smear on yellow mustard, yes you read that right. You won't taste it. Sprinkle on garlic, black pepper, and almost any pork rub (I make my own). When that is good and rubbed in, spread on some black-strap molasses and rub that in. I like a fair amount.
Cook high over a red oak fire for about 2.5-3 hours. You won't believe it. Be careful with the black pepper, it will really come through.

Squeeze butter (parkay) works well too if you don't like mustard.

I would stick with the mustard. After 3-5 hours of smoking the mustard flavors are gone, it cam withstand the time. Using butter I think would also be fine, I've just always read to use mustard as the "bonding agent."

The most common mistake in bbq is under cooking.

I suggest learning to make ribs in the oven (a smokeless smoker). Rub them in salt and pepper and put them in at 225 for 4 hours. For the last hour baste them with a thin sauce 2 -4 times to get a caramelized top. You know they are done when you pick them up in the center with a spatula and the meat starts to break apart. This is called the lift test. If they actually fall apart then they are overdone in the eye of a bbq judge but great for eating. In any case the bone will pull clean.

Ribs are very unforgiving when cooked at too high a temperature, however you can smoke them 12 hours without ruining them if the temp is too low. 5 hours is a common cook time.

After you prove to yourself you can make perfectly cooked ribs then making them phenomenal is an easy upgrade.

1. Use a smoker and don't ever go over 225.
2. Remove the membrane because membranes aren't food and bring nothing of value to the party.
3. Rinse the meat, pat dry then add your favorite rub. In Texas we like peppery flavors. Eastern southern folk like them sweet.
4. Leave the lid closed. Don't peak. Let them cook.
5. If the temp is too low and you've opted to end with a baste then you may find your ribs look perfect but aren't tender enough to pass the lift test then wrap them in some foil with some homebrew (water works too) and let them finish cooking. The bark will be fine.

I like St Louis cut because I don't like spitting out cartilage balls that invariably end up in my mouth when eating untrimmed spares. There's just too much gristle in spares for my taste. Presentation is nice too. Google how to trim spares into St Louis and you'll likely save some money buying meat. I also buy them in the bag and let them "wet age" until a week after the expiry date. All hard wood, except cedar and pine, will smoke a good rib so go with what's available. In my neck it's mostly pecan, oak and mesquite.

By the way, the oven was merely meant to compare a smokeless oven to a smokey one. What the oven gives you is a bullet proof way to hold temp and there's value in that if you are still learning how to manage a firebox. Learning to hold a stable temp in a smoker can be done without any meat at all.

Go here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html read it, read it again, read the recipe/process on pork butts (to understand why you want to stay under 250* with your smoker and get the pork up to around 190*) and use the memphis dust rub :rockin:

I've done these twice in my new-fangled 'refrigerator' style electric smoker
and
they
are
AWESOME!!!

The second time was better than the first, but hey, that's kinda like starting out brewing.

No, really, trust me (and the author of that site) on the temp thing, I do a ton of cooking and the first thing I thought was "that's going to be super over cooked". It's not. They are firm, tender, and pull right off the bones with your teeth (since you've disolved some of the connective tissue) and taste rediculous.

After you've done them once or twice, you can tweak the dust for more heat or what have you.

mmmmm.....ribs and beeeer....:mug:

Back