Stout Tanks & Kettles Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will_M

Reaction score
I have ordered the 20gal. system from Stout Tanks & Kettles (ST&K)and have had a few questions that I am having a hard time in getting answers to. I am trying to do as much pre-ordering of everything I possible can so that I will have it ready to start the build as soon as the Kettles get here as slated some time in Nov.

That said, I am reaching out to any and all here who either have the same system or another one of Stout Tanks & Kettles systems that would match up to the questions raised.

First off I would like to see any and all pictures pertaining to ST&K thermowells for RTD temp. probes. And any information regarding them. I cannot seem to find enough information on the ST&K website to answer my questions.

Thanks for any and all help.

Did I read that right, November? Yikes!!

Actually just got word that it is more than likely going to be in December now. But, I have plenty to do between now and then as I have a building to build and everything to get ready for when they do arrive.

I'm building my 20 gallon stout setup as we speak. Pics of the rtds I purchased are here. They are spring loaded and a bit expensive, but they fit. I got the 4 inch , but the 2.5 will probably work fine. Mine stick out a bit.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=PR-21SL-M12&Nav=temc03

Thanks WroxBrew. I am more than likely going to go with a 2 1/2". I hear the thermowell is 3". Is that correct? Have you any pic's of the RTD's installed yet?

yes it is 3 inches total. That is why I bought the 4 inch and under RTD, but it sticks out more then an inch. I'm at work, but will post a pic later

Wow that is way too long to have to wait for a brew kettle!

Well, they were special order and I just missed the order deadline so it is what it is. I got way to much to do to get ready for them so I ain't sweat'in it. I wasn't in any hurry to begin with so no need to jump threw the screen door now. But thanks for all the concern. Any who, from what I hear they are well worth the wait. When I do decide to start my build thread it will be picture intensive and will aim to please. :D

Almost as long as I waited for my Chugger pumps! /jk :) Seriously though, he's a small operation and they are manufactured in China. I don't think he can stock to many. I got lucky and grabbed a 20gal system that was in stock.

Almost as long as I waited for my Chugger pumps! /jk :) Seriously though, he's a small operation and they are manufactured in China. I don't think he can stock to many. I got lucky and grabbed a 20gal system that was in stock.

Yea I just put my order in for two chuggers last night. :rockin:

I got a sweetheart of a deal Friday, even though I had to drive 2 1/2 hours round trip to pick it up, on a really nice used 24" x 24" x 10" Nema 4R Enclosure. Just a couple of holes that I might be able to work in to the scheme of everything.

Sweet. I managed to cram everything into a 14x12x6 I picked up on ebay for 60$ but it was tight. Also, I'm mounting in wall, so no need for all those expensive twist lock connectors.

Oh I didnt realize they were made in China.....

Guess that just crossed them off my list, bummer.

Yep, I thought the same thing but then I realized that a poor old country boy like myself, whose job is now being performed by a majority of illegals, would never be able to afford a system like this made here so I made an executive decision. :eek:

In any case, John the owner of ST&K is a very nice guy who has made a great business for himself and family by offering these products to us and I feel a some comfort in knowing that I at least am going to be helping put food on the table of at least one family here in the good old US of A even if the product is produced from somewhere else. Heck, most everything is anymore.

Also, even though the initial cost may go somewhere else take solace in the fact that I will be buying all supplies to brew locally as possible here in the great old north state of North Cackalacky for what I hope and pray to be many years to come. Not to mention sharing in the Homebrew hobby with others here as well as a member of the Carolina BrewMasters, American Homebrewers Association, and North Carolina's Brewers Guild. As well as further support the Craftbeer industry of Charlotte, NC as well as the whole state of NC. So I figure a few hundred bucks spent to help out in the long run ain't so bad. :)

Sweet. I managed to cram everything into a 14x12x6 I picked up on ebay for 60$ but it was tight. Also, I'm mounting in wall, so no need for all those expensive twist lock connectors.

That's great. I got away with mine for (cough) $34 bucks. :D

Gotta love Ebay and finding it close enough to forgo the shipping charges. lol

Well when you put it that way......

How much fun you having this week with the DNC in town? I am enjoying watching the news from the cabin up here in Banner Elk.

:tank:

Well when you put it that way......

How much fun you having this week with the DNC in town? I am enjoying watching the news from the cabin up here in Banner Elk.

:tank:

It doesn't bother me as I am in Indian Trail and have no business going into Charlotte this week so I can't even tell it is going on. Places are packed and to crowed for my taste so I will wait it out and then go hit all the new breweries that just opened in the past week as well as a few other of mine and my wife's favorite watering holes. Charlotte is really growing and to have the DNC come and put and even larger spotlight on the city with it's growing Craftbeer scene is just quite frankly an awesome thing.

Banner Elk is nice. I was born and raised in Wilkes County. Nothing like that country up there. Beautiful. Can't wait for the leaves to start changing colors and take a ride on the Parkway as we go up toward Hendersonville to get apples.

Just curious, what kind of features did you get on your 20 gallon setup (HERMS coil, sight glass, etc)? And if you don't mind me asking, what was (or will be) the shipping cost for getting these 3 kettles to you?

I'm looking to have the same size stout kettles for my future build, I can't wait to see what yours looks like. Good luck!

Just curious, what kind of features did you get on your 20 gallon setup (HERMS coil, sight glass, etc)? And if you don't mind me asking, what was (or will be) the shipping cost for getting these 3 kettles to you?

I'm looking to have the same size stout kettles for my future build, I can't wait to see what yours looks like. Good luck!

Well, I was kinda wanting to wait to divulge all that kinda information when I start the build thread but I will answer just those questions here.

From ST&K.........

BK20TW2-TI-SG-EL1. (custom). 19.8 Gal. Brew Kettle with (1) 1.5in. TC Port for electric element
w/1in. NSP adapter, (2) THERMOWELLS, Tangential Inlet, Sight Glass, (2)3/4in. valves, (2) 1/2in.
hose barbs, clamps/gaskets. PLUS THERMOMETER.

MT20TW2-RF-BO. (custom). 19.8 Gal. Mash Tun with bottom outlet, recirculation fitting, (2)
THERMOWELLS, thermometer, (2) 1/2" hose barbs, (1) 3/4" ball valve, clamps/gaskets.

HL20TW2-RHC-SG-EL1-XP (custom). 19.8 Gal. Hot Liquor Tank with (2) THERMOWELLS, RAISED
HERMS COIL, Sight Glass, Port for Electric Element, Extra Recirculation Fitting (like mash tun),
Clamps, Gaskets. Includes (1) 3/4in. valve, (1) 1in.NSP Adpater, (3) 1/2in. hose barbs, clamps,
gaskets. PLUS THERMOMETER.

SP12SA. (720). Sparge Arm, 12in. long, with 2 clamps/gaskets, (1) 1.5in. end cap

And John, and I cannot say enough about what such a nice guy John is and how much help he has been with all of my questions and concerns, from ST&K stated to me that shipping if shipped UPS the day I asked would run about $237.

John is a very busy man and it is hard to catch him immediately but he does make every effort to reply to any and all inquiries but he has stated that he is now looking to hire someone to help in this as popularity has grown tremendously with this product. There is no question as to why after reading the many reviews from those who have received their ST&K products and posted their pic's as they are a very beautiful and versatile product which are guaranteed for many years of service.

And to think, I haven't even received mine as yet. Just goes to show how impressed I am thus far with the reviews as well as John after conversing with him via PM, Email, Social Media Networks, as well as a very enjoyable phone call.

Looks like I am going to be forced to start my build page even though I was wanting to hold off until I was more prepared to move forward and a good pace and not have lull's in reports of weeks and months. But as long as everyone can and will understand, I might as well go ahead and do so........ I will post a link here to the thread as soon as I get it going.....

Holtbrew,

I also have a 20gal fermenter and the shipping from west to east coast was 319.00. I think I was qouted 229.00 without the fermenter. The system I
purchased was in stock, so features were set, but my HLT has the site glass and herms coil, and the boil kettle has the site glass and tangential inlet for wirlpooling. I'll try to post some pics later, but my camera is not so good.

Holtbrew,

I also have a 20gal fermenter and the shipping from west to east coast was 319.00. I think I was qouted 229.00 without the fermenter. The system I
purchased was in stock, so features were set, but my HLT has the site glass and herms coil, and the boil kettle has the site glass and tangential inlet for wirlpooling. I'll try to post some pics later, but my camera is not so good.

WroxBrew, I was thinking of getting that fermenter but decided for now to try another method.

Some will say that the shipping is way to much and even though I agree I would almost bet that John from ST&K would agree also. I am sure if he had it within his powers that we could all enjoy the product he sell's without having to pay such high delivery cost, But in a world where the cost of fuel and inflation control just about every aspect of obtaining commercial goods, we have little choice unless we look for and can be satisfied with other products that may be either closer or within a local pick-up area from were one lives. We also have to remember that it isn't just the shipping fee's that are affected by these economical frustrations but also the overall cost of the consumer goods we purchase. So it isn't just ST&K that has this problem but all company's which rely on shipping as a means to get their product to us, the consumer.

WroxBrew, I was thinking of getting that fermenter but decided for now to try another method.

I originally wasn't going to get it either. I went back and forth a few times, and someone convinced me I should get it, so I did. I'm still not sure, but I'll see how it works out. I'm working with limited space which you will see. I'm going to start a post of my build. Here's the 4 inch or smaller RTD. As you can see it sticks out pretty far. Hopefully I won't break it off.

d.jpg

I originally wasn't going to get it either. I went back and forth a few times, and someone convinced me I should get it, so I did. I'm still not sure, but I'll see how it works out. I'm working with limited space which you will see. I'm going to start a post of my build. Here's the 4 inch or smaller RTD. As you can see it sticks out pretty far. Hopefully I won't break it off.

Yes that does stick out a bit. As clumsy as I am it wouldn't last long at all. :eek:

Please make sure you post a link here as well as to your build thread. I look forward in seeing how you have your set-up.

WroxBrew,

Thanks for the info and pic! Even though you say your camera isn't that great, that's the best close up picture of their sight glasses I've seen so far. One of the questions I had was whether or not it was graduated, and judging from the photo it appears not (although I could be wrong).

Will M,

Thank you as well for divulging your info ahead of schedule. I've been one of those unfortunate souls that can't seem to get a hold of John at the moment, but I'm not too concerned, my questions are minor for what I'm sure he has to deal with on a daily basis. As far as the shipping goes, it's not really a deal breaker for me, I just wanted to have a rough number for my spreadsheet of prices, so thank you for contributing to that. I'm pretty sure I remember John saying something on these forums about how he disapproves of the high shipping as well, but like you said, it's really out of his control.

Thanks for the input guys. Looking forward to both of your builds. :mug:

BeerguyNC61 said:
Oh I didnt realize they were made in China.....

Guess that just crossed them off my list, bummer.

Better be careful what you brew, too. I've heard a rumor that some of the grains come from the UK! ;-)

WroxBrew,

Thanks for the info and pic! Even though you say your camera isn't that great, that's the best close up picture of their sight glasses I've seen so far. One of the questions I had was whether or not it was graduated, and judging from the photo it appears not (although I could be wrong).

Will M,

Thank you as well for divulging your info ahead of schedule. I've been one of those unfortunate souls that can't seem to get a hold of John at the moment, but I'm not too concerned, my questions are minor for what I'm sure he has to deal with on a daily basis. As far as the shipping goes, it's not really a deal breaker for me, I just wanted to have a rough number for my spreadsheet of prices, so thank you for contributing to that. I'm pretty sure I remember John saying something on these forums about how he disapproves of the high shipping as well, but like you said, it's really out of his control.

Thanks for the input guys. Looking forward to both of your builds. :mug:

No, unfortunately they are not graduated. The glass is also plastic.

Don't buy those goofy looking RTD's, go to auberins and order their PT100 1/2" NPT RTD's. They fit perfectly, don't stick out and you can get the deluxe cables which look sweet and have a connector you can integrate into your panel. I have pretty much the same kettles you do, and I build the panel from theelectricbrewery.com to control it.

Don't buy those goofy looking RTD's, go to auberins and order their PT100 1/2" NPT RTD's. They fit perfectly, don't stick out and you can get the deluxe cables which look sweet and have a connector you can integrate into your panel. I have pretty much the same kettles you do, and I build the panel from theelectricbrewery.com to control it.

What length RTD's did you go with? Did you use them in all three vessels or just your boil kettle? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back