Tasted the first batch ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad3529

Reaction score
I couldnt help myself. I have a raspberry wheat beer thats been in the bottles 13 days to carb. I cracked one open today to take a test taste. Not too bad...better than expected.
Tasted a little watery and not that great of carbonation but it was ok. I figure another few weeks and it should be better.

My question is: Is the watery/slightly wine taste just because I couldnt wait? and the lower level carbination due to my lack of self control- opening it early?

You all have been a great help. Thanks again.
Brad

also- head on the bear was good while pouring it. It went away within about 30 seconds. Any idea why????????
Thanks-
Brad

Hardly anyone ever mentions that fruit beer take longer to condition than normal brews. Give it a couple more weeks.

The flavors will change by then.

The lack of a head can be caused by it's too early yet, but you knew that, and soap on your glass. I make it a habit of rinsing my glasses with warm water followed by a cold water rinse before pouring the beer. ;)

I've brewed four batches so far, and have drank three of said batches. All, tasted fantastic...eventually.

Some of the best advice I've recieved on this forum is "have patience." Beers that taste like shat at 6 weeks may taste great at 8.

Bottom line: when it doubt, wait it out.
Cheers!
Pen

Yes waiting it out is good. I drank my first batch and it was watery and thin. You could say a little winey from the carb sugar.

I drank the last two at 3 months. Those were so notably different and oh so much better.

Right now almost everything I make is about three months Lager-conditioned before drinking.

The trick is to brew often enough so you never have to drink young beer.

:mug:

I concur ...

I had a brown ale which was due July 4 2005. I named it Benedict Arnold Brown,,,it was very good... it was finished very quickly after 4 weeks total...

Gave a 6 pack to a friend... they came by 2 months later with the same beer (they never opened it )... we chilled then served,...

I never thought it could be any better, but it was ... so smooth, and a very nice malt profile ... I was thrilled ...

My plm (and I am sur eI am not alone!) is I dip into the batch too early ("Let's see how its doing ...")

Ha!!

Back