Keg/Carboy Pump Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogcrewer

Reaction score
So I got the go ahead to start making 10 gallon batches from the banker (aka wife). So I did some searching on how to clean a Sanke. One of our Local brewers here in North Pole Ak (Klyph) had a good idea. So all I did was build on his idea. Works awesome. I brewed a Kolsch last week, so I had a carboy to clean and see how everything was "squirting". Turned it on for about 30 to 45 minutes with some Oxy free....Clean as a whistle.

DSC01781.JPG

DSC01782.JPG

DSC01783.JPG

That looks like a pretty good design. Thanks for sharing.
I've been getting tired of trying to scrub all the inside surface with a carboy brush.
I do have a March pump, and some space pvc pipe laying around...I'll probably have mine built in the next few weeks.

Awesome! Ive been trying to figure out a carboy and corny cleaner using a pump and this is it!

Do you get enough pressure from the pump to give a good spray?

If I use your design idea I will add quick disconnects for the corny to clean the posts and dip tubes.

I used all 1/2 in copper. I didn't sweat it to the bottom elbow though or the first T. I did this so that I can put different sizes of tubing, depending on what I am cleaning.
I get plenty of pressure in the line with a good distribution. Personally, I think the key here is to use a very small drill bit.
Foaming wasent too bad. I have read some folks have a issue with it. Think the key here is to just monitor it and remember what amount of cleaner you put in for next times use.

I did the same thing but with a submersable utility pumps from HD for about $100. Turns out, they are not meant to pump 170 degree PBW. The seals failed and filled the motor case. Also, it turns out, the motor casing was filled with oil (to prevent overheating the motor, ironically), and when you take the pump apart to let the water out the oil pours into your shoes. Awesome.:ban:

Back