Help with my first batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmate

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm just starting to finish up my first ever brew. I just tested the FG of the brew, and it turned out at about 1.089 (OG 1.102), and yes I know, it was WAY too strong for a classic cider, but it was more of an experiment rather than anything else. This was also before I found this forum, and have learnt a lot whilst being here for such a short time (enough to correct most of my mistakes for next time).

The problem is, I have no idea when I should be bottling this. Such a high FG means that I have a lot of sugars unfermented, right? I can sure taste it, it's very sweet (which is fine, I like my cider sweet). But does this mean that I will get bottle bombs? Or will the fridge take care of that?

The other problem is, that it tastes a lot like champagne, with a strong apple taste coming through (probably would get better over time). Would this be caused by the yeast I used? (I haven't the name at the moment, will update this thread tomorrow). Or would it be caused by the fact that I used white sugar instead of dextrose/brown sugar?

All in all, it's tasty, sweet and damn alcoholic. Just trying to get some help with bottling and these tastes!

Thanks for your time! Sorry for the essay!

Definitely sounds like a stuck fermentation. Others may be able to provide better insight after knowing the yeast type pitched. How long did it ferment? Maybe it isn't finished. I would probably repitch with a very alchohol tolerant yeast to try and get it started again.

If you did bottle it and store in a cold fridge, that would stop fermentation / carbonation and ward off bottle bombs.

It's been in the primary for 8 days, and has been visibly bubbling the whole time, only just died down today. It was carbonated when I got it out as well (would that possible effect the FG?), so would I need a priming sugar when bottling?

Stuck fermentation hey? That's annoying. I'll get back to you about the yeast!

The yeast was 'General Wine Yeast'... Which probably explains the champagne taste...

It should have fermented out better then that with a wine yeast, I'm almost positive. sounds like you're stuck. What was the amount of sugar you threw in?.. It may just be that the yeast finished up on the easy processing and has decided to ease out its almost guaranteed still fermenting just not so much activity take a reading in another day...
Any good cider should primary for a month anyways... The champagne taste will ease out with some conditioning...
BTW whats your fermenting ambient temperature?

I put it in 3 kilo's of sugar with 15L of apple juice, which would be 100oz to 4gallons. The ambient temperature was about 20-23 celcius (67 - 73 F). As I said before, it was just an experiment, I'm not too fussed on the taste for this one, and will probably drink it as is just so I can get a better batch going, made correctly.

If it is still fermenting, is it possible just to bottle it and put it in the fridge anyway without it blowing up?

hmmm cold crashing would work but you do run a risk... part of the fun i'd say... you can bottle it up and throw it in a deep dark corner of the fridge for sure...
but you really should check day to day and bottle it when it doesn't really decrease over a period of two days. with thaqt said...
I've seen a bottle or two get corked that had a lot of fermenting to do... when he went to open it he tossed it in a freezer for 30 minutes and it didn't erupt too bad!

Yeah, I'm going to measure again tonight at the same time I measured it last night just to increase the accuracy (also, I accidently smashed my hydrometer after I measured it last night).

What did you think of the sugar and temperature? Also, would you know if it was carbonated when I measured it last night, would that have affected the hydrometer reading? (I did spin it to get the bubbles off though).

Well...
The temperature is fine I'd say 23 degrees would give you lots of fruity esters but that can be a good thing in cider...
I'd say your choice of sugar and amount is way overboard... no way did you need to use so much of it... next time use a DME... or I enjoy using demerera...
as for carbonated I don't see how it could have really carbonated because all of the co2 pressure should have released (you still get a tiny bit of pressure buildup). Air bubbles can stick to the hydro give it a twirl to get rid of them when its sitting in the liquid.

Yeah, I hadn't really researched that much into it and was more spontaneous than anything else, so just threw a whole lot together. Regardless, I have learned a lot while being here (as well as finding a new found enthusiasm for home brewing!) and will fix my mistakes next time!

I don't understand the carbonation either, but looking in my carboy as I type this, it looks like I have just poured a few litres of ginger beer into it. The bubbles are rising up like in a glass of soft drink, and forming a kind of head on the top. It's been doing this for the last 3 or 4 days though, without any air-lock activity?

good its still doing its thing... have you checked to see that your airlock is still in good condition... there could be a small blockage but i doubt it...

That cider of yours is going to be uber sweet and may have a slight grainy taste... I would throw an ounce of 6.5AA hops into it for a few days give a faint aroma and may add a titch to some bitterness.. i'd gun its out into seperate 1 gallons and dry hop one of it... you may like it...

If you are seeing bubbles rising in the carboy, it means the yeast are still working away. I would guess you have an airlock problem. Get a new hydrometer, and in the mean time let it continue to do its thing. I would bet that the next reading you take will be well under 1.089.

I just took another reading, it's on about 1.080. I also checked the air lock and there's no blockages, everything is super air tight as well! It's strange, and the cider is super fizzy. Also, it tastes as if a LOT more sugar has been converted than what the reading is suggesting, it's super alocoholic to the taste.

Back