Ferm Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Csuho

Reaction score
How important is the temperature for fermentation in the first 10hrs? I didnt get a good chill and pitched ontop of a cake and had activity with-in an hr and then it was stuck around 80 for 10hrs and i finally got it down to 62 this morning and got home and there is still activity.

what i am wondering is how much that high temp is gonna effect the final beer?

it was Jz's evil twin on a pacman cake.

I haven't used pacman, so don't know the characteristics of that particular yeast, but generally the most important time for good temperature control is the first 48 hours or so. Your beer will probably be fine, maybe a little estery but still good. Next time I suggest letting the beer get to your fermentation temp before pitching the yeast. Even if you have to wait the 10+ hours before pitching.

After reading about temperature control in several places (including this forum), I decided I needed to get most of my beers <70F before pitching. The obvious exceptions are well known, such as Belgians. That is what I do now, and fortunately, with 55F well water, it isn't difficult.....although those last ten degrees take longer.

Back