Preserving DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida286

Reaction score
I have to break into my plastic bag of DME tonight to make a starter. I don't have a way to vaccum seal the bag so I was wondering how I should seal the bag back up to keep it fresh until this weekend when I brew. Can I wrap the bag up in aluminum foil and stick it all in the fridge? I want to keep it somewhat protected from the air and possible contaminates

I just keep mine in a gallon ziplock bag and squeeze all the air out. I only use it for starters, so my 3 lb. bag lasts a while. The only thing you really need to worry about is the moisture getting to it. A fridge can be pretty damp. I'd just keep it in a cool, dark place.

Mine's still good... There are guys around here that buy it in bulk and stash some in the freezer. But your first line of defense is keeping the moisture out. As soon as it's exposed to air it starts absorbing the humidity. Left out the surface turns gooey.

I think you'll be fine in a ziploc bag. If you want to add a little insurance, suck the air out of the bag through a straw, you can get a psuedo vacuum seal that way.

Back