Step Drill RPM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepSea

Reaction score
I am about to drill some kegs with a step bit. What RPM are most folks using? I am strapping this to a drill press table.

Thanks,

DeepSea

It is my understanding that you want to drill it really slow(That sounds dirty). Is the press a variable speed, or just hi/lo?

I use a step drill bit all the time with my Dewalt 18 volt cordless drill and the low speed range works best. I don't know if that helps but I have drilled a number of holes in my Keggles. My step drill is made by Unibit.

Just drilled a bunch of holes in my kegs for the first time tonight and low speed on my Dewalt 18 volt works best too.

LUBE!!! be nice and lube first not only for your bit but for the hole and the pot;)

Lube thruout the whole drilling process with no stopping until your done, use a high sulfur lube same as for pipe threading or a lube for stainless. High pressure to cut preventing work hardening the stainless to like glass hardness and skipping plus the slowest speed you can. Maximun of the posted 200 RPM and slower as the whole gets larger. It's the surface speed of the cutter vs the material your drilling in inches per/second or minute. Speed causes heat and use a quality step bit be it not cheap like a Unibit. I should know being a wireman for 29 years working at many turd farms working with stainless drilling and tapping stainless plate for electrical control panels.
When someone work hardened to a squeaker like glass with smoke, a carbide bit was used to get thru that work hardened layer then drilled out with a cobalt bit again.
In a pinch use a high sulfur 90 weight rear diff gear oil it will work also.

Back