My take on Stone Ruination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hound_Dog

Reaction score
Well I just popped the cap on my first Ruination from Stone about a half hour ago. I feel like I'm going to be chastised for saying this, seeing how many people here seem to worship the Stone brewery, but I'm not impressed. The aroma lacks any clear definition. The initial taste seems somewhat muddled, and malty for an IPA, and fades quickly into a soft bitterness with no lingering flavor. All that remains is a bitter taste that I can't define as hoppy bitter, just plain nothing there bitter. I will say that the light mouth feel was nice, and the head retention was fantastic, but I don't think that I'll be going back for more of this one.

Yeah, based on the hype (a lot of it self-proclaimed) I was expecting a much bigger hop bomb from this beer. It doesn't claim to be a double/imperial IPA, but I think everyone classifies it as such. It is much weaker than I hoped. Ive even heard rumors that the IBU level doesn't meet its 100+ marking amount in actual practice, but that's just a rumor I heard.

I thought it was tasty, but maybe not worth the $6 or whatever it cost over the "standard" bomber price. I really enjoy their standard IPA though.

The older the bottle the less the hops jump out at ya. I have had old bottles that sat on the shelf forever and seemed like that.

You get a fresh bottle and IMO it stands up to its hype.

My sentiments exactly. And I was chastised for saying so just recently. But your experience mirrors my own exactly. Not much hop aroma or flavor, medium bitterness and completely underwhelming when compared to the hype. I may have had an old bottle, but I don't feel there's as much going for this beer as the folks on the bandwagon like to make out.

I thought it was tasty, but maybe not worth the $6 or whatever it cost over the "standard" bomber price. I really enjoy their standard IPA though.

I loves me some Ruination, but at the costly cost of the bottle, I think that Ill stick with their regular IPA and still maintain an ear to ear grin.
I think the Ruination is a special times kind of beer for me. (Although I need to brew a clone or something)
-Me

To be honest I hadn't actually heard anything about this beer before I tried it. I didn't even read the bottle before I was halfway through it. The only thing that I knew was that a lot of people here love Stone beers.

I tried some Ruination, Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and Stone IPA recently. I thought the OAB had one of the most wonderful aromas I've ever come across in a beer, and the Stone IPA was a very, very good IPA. But yeah, I too thought the Ruination was a little bit meh. It could have been that the bottle I had was old, and perhaps my expectations were too high based on their other two beers. It certainly wasn't unpleasant at all, but I think I'd rather have their standard IPA.

Hhmmm.. I haven't had it in a while, but when I did - all I could say was holy HOPS Batman! I guess I'll try it again and see if I still think that, but the OP's description doesn't sound like the same beer I tasted.

Totally agree. One of the most overrated beers I can think of. I love IIPA/DIPA's and this does nothing for me. Very little depth or complexity. I'm glad I'm not alone.

I'm generally unimpressed with most of Stone's beers. Sad to say, but I haven't run into too many that I find enticing.

I like Ruination a lot. But I can see how it wouldn't hold up for more than a few weeks in a bottle. It is best on tap at the brewery.

I cannot rationalize it myself. I understand that good craft brew will be more expensive. But seriously, $17 for a sixers! That is a bit much for me...considering the price we could brew something similar for much much much cheaper. Yes, I bought one to try it, but I would be go back again.

All of the nay sayers make me want to cry. (But that just leaves more tasty beers for MEEEEEEEEEEE)

I still need to get my hands on some Hopslam and some Pliny the Elder as I hear these are definitely must trys. I wasnt overly impressed with SNs Torpedo, it just tasted like a highly hopped pale ale.
+1 for Stone
-Me

All of the nay sayers make me want to cry. (But that just leaves more tasty beers for MEEEEEEEEEEE)

I still need to get my hands on some Hopslam and some Pliny the Elder as I hear these are definitely must trys. I wasnt overly impressed with SNs Torpedo, it just tasted like a highly hopped pale ale.
+1 for Stone
-Me

Pliny is another one you need to get fresh. Try and get one that has been bottled within a week or two and you'll be doing yourself a favor.

No hop aroma in ruination?!?!!You gotta be kidding me!I'm on the east coast(probably the oldest bottles in the nation)And my wife can smell it from the other room!

I agrre Joos, I cracked open a bomber of Ruination and she came out and asked "Are you brewing today?" Maybe I'm lucky living in CA and can get fresh bottles from my local store. I must say I was very happy with my taste and will be buying more.

Back