Temp Probe options for ebay Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimsonwine

Reaction score
I have a couple of these eBay temp controllers and I am looking to upgrade the temp probes to something longer....

I am looking at the ones at brewers hardware...I've been chatting with them...but they can not confirm they will work...

The temp probe that comes with the eBay temp controller is an 10K/3435

1) Rated zero-power resistance: R25: 10KΩ ± 5% ( at 25℃ )

2) B value: B25/85: 3,435K ± 1%

* The B value is calculated using the zero-power resistance values measured at 25℃ and 85℃.

The BH one for the BCS is NTC 10K/3877
1) Rated zero-power resistance: R25: 10KΩ ± 2% ( at 25℃ )

2) B value: B25/85: 3,877K ± .75%

Anyone with more knowledge than I have could help me out and let me know if the BH one can work....I do know the eBay controller is adjustable...

These are going on a Brutus 10 Build...

Any reason you're opposed to just making the existing probes longer with some additional wire? Cheap, easy, and works well. And FWIW the SS probe ends that come on those single stage controllers fit snugly inside 1/4" od copper tubing, which is handy for making cheap and easy thermowells.

Any reason you're opposed to just making the existing probes longer with some additional wire? Cheap, easy, and works well. And FWIW the SS probe ends that come on those single stage controllers fit snugly inside 1/4" od copper tubing, which is handy for making cheap and easy thermowells.

I don't mind using the current one..but I believe the end is smaller diameter than the sensor that comes with Love...so I don't think the sensor that comes with the eBay controller will fit snugly enough inside a thermowell to get a accurate reading...might I be wrong?

Also the BH one makes for a nice clean install and has the QD fittings already attached.....

Do you have experience with the stock temp sensor on the eBay controller?

I don't mind using the current one..but I believe the end is smaller diameter than the sensor that comes with Love...so I don't think the sensor that comes with the eBay controller will fit snugly enough inside a thermowell to get a accurate reading...might I be wrong?

You are correct, the Love and BH sensors are 1/4" OD, and the e-bay one is smaller. As I said, the probe for the e-bay controller fits snugly inside 1/4" OD copper tubing, which can be used to cheaply and easily create thermowells for it. If you already have 1/4" ID thermowells, the e-bay probe will have a long lag unless you fill them with thermal paste or something.

Do you have experience with the stock temp sensor on the eBay controller?

Yes, I have 2 of those controllers in my control panel, and use the stock sensors.

And to answer your original question, it looks to me like the BH sensor would work with the e-bay controller, but I really don't know for sure. Maybe someone with more electrical knowledge can chime in.

Oh interesting....I have some 1/4" copper tubing...How do you go about sealing the other end?

Oh interesting....I have some 1/4" copper tubing...How do you go about sealing the other end?

I applied a little flux to the inside of one end, crimped it shut with pliers, and then applied a little solder. I've also seen people use JB weld if you don't have the tools for copper soldering.

For mounting I drilled out the center of various 1/4" compression to NPT fittings so that the tubing could slide through. One of the things I find handy about the smaller diameter thermowells is that standard kitchen thermometers also fit snugly inside. Here's what one of my sightglass/thermowell combo fittings looks like.

IMG_6423.jpg

And I'm not trying to push you towards a ghetto set up like mine, just listing it as an alternative.

Just putting the ebay probes into a thermowell won't give accurate temps?

WHat is thermal paste?

Temp probes should be as snug as possible so the sensor can pick up the temp faster....

If you put a sensor in a thermowell and it does not touch the sides the the heat will poorly transfer to the sensor giving you either a erroneous temp reading of lag in reading the temperature...

Ideally you want the sensor in direct contact with the liquid..however...some temp probes are not liquid tight and will ruin the sensor...

Thermal Paste is used in electronics...

when you put two surfaces together their surfaces are microscopically rough and can contain airpockets. air is a insulator....so to transfer the heat efficiently they use the paste to make a better "seal". You see this commonly used between CPUs and their cooling fins/fans....

Likewise you could put the paste in a thermal well and shove the probe down in it...the paste will replace the air and allow for rapid conduction of heat...

Latest posts

Back