Is this a good starter kit???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellsBeerDrinker

Reaction score
hey all!

so i'm wanting to start brewing!!! i have wanted to for awhile, but wanted to do my research before i started... after doing a lot of reading, I think that I'm finally ready to give it a try.... i found a kit @ Homebrew Heaven. it's the "complete homebrew equipment kit"... i just wanted to check with some of the pro's to see what you all think!

Complete Homebrew Equipment Kit
Contains: 6-Gallon Primary Fermentor, 5-Gallon Glass Carboy, 3-pc Airlock and Stopper, Siphon Hose, Racking Cane and Clip, Bottle Filler, 2-Handled Capper, Caps, Bottle Brush, Carboy Brush, Sanitizer, Cleaner, Hydrometer

whaddya think? good for a beginner?

thanks in advance!

Like he said, you should be good to go with that setup, and you can use your carboy for a batch of Apfelwein while your beer is in the primary! Unless of course you want to rack to the carboy and ultimately use it to prime your beer before bottling.
GL!
-Me

Learn from my mistake...get an extra fermenter...I am suffering as I type this because I have one fermenter going and am dying to get another batch started.

I am just trying to save you this mental anguish I am going through.

thanks for all the advice and kind words!

...but now i have stumbled upon this kit: Beer Making Plus Kit with Secondary Fermenter and Ingredients and am wondering if one is better than the other... i know that i DO want a glass carboy... so that could be a problem, but i think that i can pay more for a glass one....

do any of you experts think that one is better than the other?!?!

thanks again!!! :rockin:

Don't forget beer bottles.

And you know what that means, you'll have to drink at least 48 Samuel Adams or Sierra Nevada or or or.

Man your lucky are you going to need any help drinking those?:mug:

hahaha... i think i'm up for the challenge!

i love me some Sam Adams! ... always a good decision!

...those Northern Brewer kits look really nice too... decisions decisions!

I got my kit at MoreBeer.com. They have two beginner kits, one for 70 bucks and one for 99. Both come with a bottling bucket and a fermenter. I went with the carboy one and all you really need after that is a brew pot. The second kit in this thread looked good but it seemed like it was 50 bucks more for just a secondary fermenter.

P.S. MoreBeer has free shipping on orders over 59 bucks.

Don't forget about a brew kettle as well. That kit, like most, doesn't include a kettle.

...i've got a couple of large kettles to use, i think i'm all set there!

thanks again for all of the advise!

i'm sure i'll have all kinds of questions once i actually start a batch, which will be real soon!

As for the glass or plastic carboy that is more personal preference than anything. You have to be more careful cleaning the plastic ones but they are much lighter.

Back