leaking keg..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revrand65

Reaction score
i bought used cornie kegs and they were under pressure when i recieved them...cleaned them up installed new o rings except for the lid...and the lid leaks a little with the soapy water test at 10 psi..and it leaks pretty good at 5 psi...at 20 it doesn't leak at all i am useing lube on the o ring....the o ring is like new what pressure should i be running to serve my beer maybe i need to tighten the clamp?....or should i just run the pressure high...

First, check the o-ring. If there is any flattening, replace it. Rub it with a damp finger, if you get anything coming off, replace it. If you have to keep pressure on the lid to prevent leaks, the ring is probably old & too hard.

Frequently you can run the pressure up to seal the O-ring, then serve at a lower pressure. If you force carbonate at 30 psi, that should set the ring.

thanks for the advice..i ended up replaceing the rubber caps on the clamp and bending them a little and it seals just fine now..

thanks for the advice..i ended up replaceing the rubber caps on the clamp and bending them a little and it seals just fine now..

I am having the same problem with a keg i just bought. I too replaced the O-rings and even the lid one. However, I can not get the tank to seal now. It was holding pressure when it came in the mail but now leaks like a sieve. Is there any trick to getting it to seal, I am using keg lube on this one and never have before, could this have anything to do with it? If i cant get it to hold pressure I'll just send it back but really don't feel like paying $12 or so for return shipping.

Seal it under higher than serving pressure then turn it down. I also don't flip the bale down until it is sealed. I lube it good then lift up on the keg with the bale and swivel it around a bit to seat properly. Once sealed snap the bale down and you should be good to go!

Back