Can I transfer from one bottle to another?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kedash

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi.

We were going to enter an outstanding brew in the County Fair and saved two 22oz. bottles for the entry.

Subsequently, we found out that you must enter three bottles of brew (any size from 10oz. and 22oz.).

My question is, will it negatively affect the beer if we pop the caps, pour the brew into three 12 oz. bottles and recap them?

My guess is "yes," because of the CO2 loss, but if the competition is still several weeks away, I thought the brew might have enough yeast and sugar left over to fill the head space etc.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Hi.

We were going to enter an outstanding brew in the County Fair and saved two 22oz. bottles for the entry.

Subsequently, we found out that you must enter three bottles of brew (any size from 10oz. and 22oz.).

My question is, will it negatively affect the beer if we pop the caps, pour the brew into three 12 oz. bottles and recap them?

My guess is "yes," because of the CO2 loss, but if the competition is still several weeks away, I thought the brew might have enough yeast and sugar left over to fill the head space etc.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

My guess is "yes", too, because not only will pouring cause the co2 to come out of solution, the pouring will oxidize the beer, too, so you'd have wet cardboard flavored beer for the competition. I think you could try to siphon it, and add a bit more priming sugar? I don't know, though- I've never tried this.

Yooper's right. Co2 loss isn't the problem...oxidation is. you'll have to siphon it, and I would re-prime it with some sugar...maybe 1/2 of what should be used for one bottle if it wasn't carb'd at all...possibly even less.

Back