Danby fridge conversion. Anyone do one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
I was given a Danby fridge today that I want to use for a conversion but found the control wiring comes out of the fridge near the middle of the top. The instruction booklet parts list shows coils going through the walls, but nothing in the top. I figure I should be close to ok if I put the tower hole in the rear, but the wiring in the top is worrying me. I don't want to start probing with a drill bit and risk messing up the wiring. The fridge also has a steel case that is welded, so I cannot disassemble the top to check stuff.

If anyone has done a Danby fridge conversion I would appreciate any help or info you have found.

Mine is a Danby. Is yours the all-fridge type? (meaning no freezer section)

2961-BeerTower.jpg

2961-TowerKegs.jpg

IMG_0770.JPG

If you call Danby service they can tell you where the wires and coils are. They will give you the standard 'void your warranty' speech of course but they will eventually tell you.

Bernie, mine is labeled as a millennium edition. I have the model number written down in my truck. It has no freezer section but does have the light and temp control right in the middle of the top. The wires look like they head off to one side but I don't know for sure. If I can pop the hole futher back, about 1/3rd of the way, I think I may be able to miss the controls and light, but again still worried about the wiring.

I'll give Danby a call tomorrow. The unit says it was built in 2000 IIRC, so I'm not worried about warranty. It's just a nice unit though so I don't want to ruin it.

It's coming back to me now. The light/controller assembly is just held on by a few screws. Pull out the screws, and you will be able to see the wires a bit better. Cut away a bit of the plastic, and you'll have a little more room to play with, and you can re-mount the assembly off to the side a bit. And you'll also see that the wires go off to the side, too, giving you room to drill a hole for your tower. Good luck.

Edit:
I also removed the light bulb, because to get cornies to fit you have to remove the stuff off of the door, and therefore the door will no longer turn off the switch. You don't want the lightbulb on all the time, thus heating up your kegerator.

Think I just found the number DAR 452 BL. Hopefully cutting away the top a little from inside will expose where the wiring is.

Back