Mead separation problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpogo

Reaction score
I started Malkore's Not So Ancient Orange two days ago. There has been no fermentation, the airlock hasn't bubbled once. I think there may be an issue with the honey separating from the water?

I'm considering removing the airlock, covering the bung with something sanitized and giving it a really good shake.

Obligatory picture:
HPIM0715_s.JPG

Any advice?

I found a lees stirrer invaluable in ensuring a properly mixed must whenever I make a mead these days:

http://tinyurl.com/34u29v

Also, you need to make sure your must is properly aerated, and that your pitching teimp is not so high as to kill off the yeast. Post additional details about your process and ingredients so we can offer more advice!

- GL63

I did shake it up. I looks a lot better. I'm still not getting any airlock activity.

HPIM0723_s.JPG

It looks like there is a bit of a yeast cake on the bottom of the fermentor, so I'm hoping that means it's not dead just stuck or something.

HPIM0722_s.JPG

As far as what I did recipe wise:
I upped malkore's not so ancient orange to a 3 gallon batch, using two oranges, 3 sticks of cinnamon, and 3 cloves. I added 7lbs of honey to a gallon of water on the stove and the spices, zest, and juice and steeped for 10 minutes. Then I cooled this in the sink. Afterwards I added to the carboy using a funnel with strainer. Then I topped up with water to 3 gallons and pitched the yeast.

Two days ago after questioning the separation I sanitized my hands and gave the fermentor a good shaking. Today there is still no airlock action.

I'm wondering if I should just wait it out, or if I should add some yeast nutrient or if there is anything I can do to fix it? I'd even order up more yeast if that had a chance to get it going.

What kind of yeast are you using...? yeast nutrient could definitely help... for my first mead I pitched champagne yeast into some honey water with raisins (also have the nutes yeasties need) and powdered yeast nutrient and got a fairly vigorous fermentation.

The yeast I used wasWyeast Sweet Mead, A few hours after hitting the smack pack it puffed right up. As far as the type of yeast nutrient I have it's wyeast nutrient blend.

Would a good plan of action be to check the pH level? If it is between 3.4-4.0 proceed with repitching.

For the repitch I plan to first mix some Go Ferm in 167ml of water. Then when the water is at a yeast safe temperature(room temperature perhaps?) add 1-2 packets of Lalvin ICV/D-47.

At this point should I make a starter or would pitching the rehydrated yeast/go-ferm be the way to go?

still not getting anything? I'm not sure why you'd want to check the pH.

I'd make a phatty yeast starter with lots of raisins and honey and after a few hours just throw that sucker in there.

I'm still wondering why the honey is coagulating like that... did you boil it too long? Hopefully you can save this one. :::fingers crossed:::

There was no boil. After the shake everything looks fine. I still haven't seen any fermentation. I'm gonna give it one more day and check the specific gravity before I repitch with some dry yeast.

I haven't had a chance to get some more yeast and repitch. In fact I decided to ignore this until tomorrow when I'd have some time to put in an order somewhere for yeast.

I peaked at it the other day and it looked like it had scum on the top and the yeast cake had broken up a bit.

Well I took a look at it today and the airlock is bubbling and I can see a few bubbles in the mead. It's also gotten a bit cloudier!

Thanks for everyone's help. I suppose Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast is just a bit more finicky and slow than most yeast that I am used to.

Back