Can an igloo cooler be fixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easily_Distracted

Reaction score
I apologize if this is the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where else to put this question.

I took apart the bulkhead on my 10 gal igloo cooler and noticed a small crack radiating from the circular hole where the bulkhead goes through. It's only on the white interior plastic but I expect it will leak when filled because it reaches past the o-ring contact patch. Is there any way to fix the crack and seal it back up to where it is food safe and can stand the heat?

DAP is said to be food grade safe. At 150-170F though I don't know.

Totally redneck food grade version answer.

- Use it as a MLT let the sticky syrup of the mash fill the crack and don't scrub it out.

Somebody will give a much better answer.

Food grade silicone should do the trick, call the folks @ Wasserstrom on Monday. If they don't have it they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Wasserstrom Co
2777 Silver Drive, Columbus, OH
(614) 737-8146 ‎ · wasserstrom.com

Thanks Dan and bad67z. I wasn't sure if there was such a thing as food grade silicone. I'll start the search Monday. Meanwhile I'll drill a tiny hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading.

Meanwhile I'll drill a tiny hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading.

That's a great idea! Best of luck and please keep this thread going with updates on the outcome. Many of us use plastic coolers and we'd be fools if we didn't consider the same issue coming up.

Thanks in advance!

:mug:

+1 to drilling a hole at the end to help keep it from spreading.

+1 to DAP clear silicon. It doesn't blatantly say that it's food grade or temp safe on the front of the tube. Check the back and it will tell you whether you've for the right kind.

DAP in combination with a food safe silicone washer would help ease some of the stress on the fracture and provide an additional layer of sealing.

I'm not sure how much heat it can take but you can pick up a taupe of aquarium silicon at a pet store.

I like the idea of silicone combined with a washer to reinforce the area. Another hobby of mine is salt water reef keeping so I have some familiarity with silicone. Some like GE 100% silicone are good for sealing as long as they don't have mold inhibitors like for kitchen and bath. Others like momentive rtv 103 or 108 silicone have much better adhesion properties for structural applications. I'm going to see if I can find the data sheet for the momentive online to see what it says about temp.

so far I'm only seeing on the Momentive RTV108 MSDS for Thermal Decomposition:
"can generate formaldehyde at approximately 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150'C) and above, in atmospheres which contain oxygen."

I'm going to try to pick up a tube at Graingers on Monday and see what the tube says. It won't go to waste with the tinkering I do on aquariums.

Now where to get a food grade washer? Anyone have any suggestions?

"can generate formaldehyde at approximately 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150'C) and above, in atmospheres which contain oxygen."

I'm going to try to pick up a tube at Graingers on Monday and see what the tube says. It won't go to waste with the tinkering I do on aquariums.

Northern Brewer has one here or, if you have an old silicone baking sheet like a SilPat (One here for cheap on Amazon), you could fashion one to size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I like the rigid washer for added support. Come to think of it, I may just silicone one of the two, large stainless washers that come with the bulkhead right to the inside wall to both seal the area and reinforce. I'll use the o-ring in between the washers to make the seal.

Do not use aquarium silicone . It is not food grade I think . It is safe for your fish but the heat maybe not .
There are lots of food grade silicones out there . I just bought a tube from a guy on ebay since it was a cheaper quicker thing .
Just type " food grade silicone " in google and there you are . these are good up to 500 degrees. Also Ebay sells some food grade silicone mold making kits for baking that may be useful for other projects .

I like the idea of silicone combined with a washer to reinforce the area. Another hobby of mine is salt water reef keeping so I have some familiarity with silicone. Some like GE 100% silicone are good for sealing as long as they don't have mold inhibitors like for kitchen and bath. Others like momentive rtv 103 or 108 silicone have much better adhesion properties for structural applications. I'm going to see if I can find the data sheet for the momentive online to see what it says about temp.

All the food grade silicone I have looked at has a temp rating of 400 or 500 degrees and a application temp of up to 140 degrees

I simply used a rubber washer from Ace . Not food grade but since it is such a small amount of rubber and not getting over 170 degrees I think it is safe enough .
If you want food grade seal then how about just putting some food grade silicone on a large washer ? If you want it to be removable then put a piece of plastic wrap over it and loosely tighten it down so the silicone will take the shape of the bucket or pot and wait for it to fully cure and then remove the plastic wrap . Now you have a food grade rubber washer .

you can get that food grade silicone at Graingers I think .

Yes. I'm thinking the silicone the washer in place route. I found the food safe silicone on line at Grainger today. I'm going to swing by tomorrow. It looks like it's good to 400 deg.

Silicone maybe.....i know its waterproof, can handle high temps and an pretty certain its food safe. Its used in aquariums. Epoxy also can handle the high temps....just don't know if its food safe.

I use a short piece of plastic pipe around the bulkhead/nipple (sometimes with a slit) between the walls of the cooler. Prevents compressing the walls to the point of cracking the wall(s).

Have you thought of applying the silicone from the inside wall so as to limit exposure?

Just a thought. Dan F.

Dan F.

I use a short piece of plastic pipe around the bulkhead/nipple (sometimes with a slit) between the walls of the cooler. Prevents compressing the walls to the point of cracking the wall(s).

Have you thought of applying the silicone from the inside wall so as to limit exposure?

Just a thought. Dan F.

Dan F.

great idea . Next time I remove mine as I must to clean it I am going to insert a pipe in it .

Well I just ordered a small tube of RTV Food Grade Adhesive Silicone Sealant. I was able to find a few different NSF compliant sealants, just no one had it locally and the shipping is what gets you on this for some reason.

Food Grade Adhesive - $3.23
Shipping (cheap as possible) - $8.73

If you found it somewhere with really cheap shipping and are thinking about posting it here to rub it in.... Don't.
Just don't.... ; |

Shipping is what gets us all on small purchases. Great price for the product we want and then the shipping is astronomical. Just gotta say "oh well" at that point. hmmm. I suppose the only good thing about it, is.....?

Back