experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbid53

Reaction score
I have been thinking about trying some different additives with beer some fruit some vegetables does anyone have any insight on my idea( wich is) I was thinking for say an apricot IPA taking apricot puree boil down with water and add yeast to make a starter. and similar techniques for other additives I am thinking of trying a beer with agave:ban: :tank:

Just one thing - before you do it, buy a few bottles of Pyramid Apricot and see if you like it. Just recently I was tempted with doing a batch of apricot apricot wheat. Already bought the puree, but on the way back home got e few bottles of Pyramid staff and ultimately decided that fruits do not belong my beer. It's just my opinion.

Magic Hat #9 uses an apricot puree in it. It is not an IPA but close to what you might be going for.

IMO the Pyramid is not a real good example of a fruit beer. It has no fruit taste just an aroma, so you think that you are tasting it but really your not. I took a tour there a few years ago and was talking to the person giving the tour and he said tha they use an extract in that beer. I feel that there is a world of diference between using extract and real fruit.

If you are talking about making a starter and adding it to your primary, you are going to loose all the fruit flavor and aroma by the time that the beer makes it to the bottle/keg. Good rule of thumb is one pound of fruit for every gallon, and put it in the secondary for a couple of days just long enough to puck up the flavor and aroma, but not so long that it all ferments out. If you decide to go with the extracts then you can add it right before bottling/kegging.

Cheers

I made a nectarine wheat ale a few years back. I use nectarines from my back yard. I picked, peeled, and removed the pits to get a few pounds of pure pulp. I froze the pulp overnight in a zip lock, then threw the the "ice - pulp" in the secondary for 10 days I think. Turned out real nice, good apricot aroma and a subtle flavor contribution which is what I was after.

Honestly, my favorite thing about this brew was the label: http://onebeer.net/pub/nn.jpg

Good luck

Back