New Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebrews

Reaction score
Hello HBT....

I'm finally getting a new brew Kettle. I had been doing partial boils of just shy of 3 gallons. Beer turned out good, but wasn't as good as i know it could be. I've got the cash and green light from my wife to get a new brew kettle. Has anyone used or own one of these.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/11854/102211/Modified_Brewing_Kettle_-_Economy_9_Gallon

this seams like the best kettle for the price. I'll just pick up a 1/2" Ball valve and plug for now and eventually get a thermometer to fit into the secong bung....

Oppinions?

Looks like a decent kettle. 9 gal will give you PLENTY of room so you'll have less boil-overs.

Yep that was my thought exactly. I'd like someday to upgrade to the Blichman 7 Gal conical fermenter, and i think i could even pull off a 7 gal full boil with this same kettle.

i'm not a big fan of aluminum. I've heard lots of horror stories about cleaning and longevity. And for the price of shipping that bayou pot i can get one with bungs already....plus i cant weld..yet.

Do yo have a restaurant supply store nearby? A 10 gallon aluminum pot can be had for around $50. I've had no trouble with mine. I recently added a weldless valve to it.

image-1583106908.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ya i'm looking forward to that too. I really would like to get the huricane burner from williams and build a nice brew stand to go with it, but i think that's in the future.

i'm not a big fan of aluminum. I've heard lots of horror stories about cleaning and longevity. And for the price of shipping that bayou pot i can get one with bungs already....plus i cant weld..yet.

Just trying to give you other options. That bayou pot ships for free. I've got the other pot, the 13 gallon aluminum and it's heavy duty and cleanup is easy with a little dish soap and a sponge. The kettle you're getting is nice and should serve you well for many years of brewing.

IMO Aluminum gets a bad rap from people who THINK they know what they are talking about!

I did my first 15 batches in aluminum and think they would stand up to any commercial brews.

I got stainless 10 gallon pots from a Craigslist ad. I will still use the aluminum for stovetop BIAB.

I put weldless fittings in my stainless pots. No problems so far!

Plus one on the Bayou Classic Kettle. I say this only because I did purchase this kettle and did not have to pay extra for shipping (of course free shipping meant that I would not receive the item as quickly, but I still received the item within a week of placing my order). Also, the kettle was extremely easy to drill and add a ball valve. Also, I like the larger kettle. I regularly boil a 5 gallon batch in a 15 gallon kettle and love the fact that I don't have to worry about boil overs. I would feel more comfortable with the 11 gallon Bayou Classic over the 9 gallon More Beer kettle. I hope that this might help.

Mark:mug:

Back