Infected beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyIceGfunk

Reaction score
My wheat went bad in bottles probably from the oranges I added. What is the best way to clean and sanitize the bottles with the bad brew in them?

I would just fill the sink up with water, toss some oxiclean in it and soak the bottles to clean them. rinse thoroughly. before you bottle you're going to want to sanitize them again so no point doing it now.

I would also run a bottle brush inside them in case there is a residue in the necks. I have found that oxiclean will loosen debris but not flush it out in some cases. Better to spend a little extra time than to leave junk in the bottle to infect the next brew.

Oxy clean soak, followed by "thumb over bottle mouth and shake" rinse technique with the hottest water you can stand, followed by a soak in 1 oz bleach to five gallons, then after the bleach is dilluted in water add an oz of vinegar.

Buy beer with bottles that are designed to be recapped. Repeat as necessary.

BTW - good luck, you did get good advice above.

Back